Monday, May 4, 2009

New School Dayz

We had a very busy weekend, which I have a bunch of great pictures, but today's adventures are too exciting to put off. It's Ian's first day at his new preschool! We waited almost a full year to get in to this preschool, so this has been very anticipated. It's a well orchestrated care center located right in our small community and once families enroll, they just simply don't leave, hence the long wait. He also progressively "graduates" with his class to the next class, so he'll forge friendships similar to how he'll progress through grades when he's older. It also matters to me that these other families are in our same community, meaning we can get to know each other and ultimately work toward the common goal of good resources for our own kids in our own neighborhood. (Insert 'Leave it to Beaver' theme here).

He woke up happy and ready to go at 6:30am, a full hour later than a usual school day. It felt weird putting him in a pull up after underpants for so many weeks, but he's bound to relapse until he gets the hang of the new routine.

The most exciting aspect of the morning is that he got to carry his very first lunchbox. It felt funny packing him a lunch, but it feels good that I get to choose what he eats for his largest meal of the school day. They do breakfast and snacks, but we bring a fresh lunch every day. I've gotten mixed comments from some who think it's crazy that they charge what they do and don't provide lunch and others who feel like I do and don't mind sending lunch with the empowerment of giving him the foods we prefer. Although we don't eat 100% organic, I buy organic whenever I can and Ian eats low sodium and low fat/sugar. These are not criteria taken into account by the state when they set school lunch standards. They go by a very outdated food pyramid...one that thinks white bread, fish sticks, and chicken nuggets are acceptable. I may not always have a say, so I might as well take advantage of it while I can.

Off my soapbox now. So, we headed out a little after 7 and drove the crazy 60 second stretch to his school. Hopefully we'll get into a good enough routine to allow us to walk, but Ian is too easily distracted and what could be 5 minutes easily turns into 20, so for now we'll drive. He was a little thrown that he barely got his vitamin down and we were there already. He was so excited to get out of his car seat and ran to the door with his lunchbox in hand. It was pretty darn cute.

He went straight to the trains, of course (why not pick up where he left off 5 minutes earlier at home?). We showed him where to put his lunch and took his coat, then he was off again. It's great that he already had a settling in period and was familiar with the room, teachers, and kids already.

I'll pick him up after lunch, but before nap today so his first day ends on a good note. We'll have some one on one time before he has his nap at home and then tomorrow he'll stay through nap....then the full day on Wednesday.

Great morning... Enjoy some highlights:

Ian's first packed lunch: Peaches, carrots, black beans, and pasta


First Day of School

Ugggghhhh.... This lunch is heavy!


Heading out the door

Walking to school

4 comments:

  1. The lunch box is quite a milestone. We have the same containers...they are great!!! Hope his name is on them; any mom would love "little Johnny" to bring them home by mistake. I'm sure all will go well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad he loves his new school! and can you start packing my husbands lunch? jeesh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catching up after several "lame" blogger days myself. That video of him giggling at the playground is priceless. I don't even "know" the kid and I got all teary eyed :) The laughter of a child is the best music in the world.

    Love the lunch box. We've had a hassle here, as the school tried to "ban" peanut butter after all the salmonella scare. Turns out, it wasn't district wide, just our principal being a boob, trying to "legislate" where there was no foundation to support her "interpretation" of the district recommendations...

    SO. I blatantly ignored them and my kids took some heat a couple times. Then I felt bad. I just can't wait to have the summer off from others telling me what to do with my kids all day long :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like those containers! Where did you get them? My husband could use something to take his lunch in that's spill proof!

    ReplyDelete