Saturday, May 9, 2009

Pre-Mother's Day Festivities

First thing's first....Ian had a great first week at his new preschool. He was full day by the second day, which is thanks in part to the "soft launch" visits every Friday. By his start day, he was fully familiar with the teachers and classroom.

Friday, his Grandma Trish day, started great. We watched the garbage trucks go by and then packed for a sleepover at Grandma Trish & Grandpa Tom's house. He was very excited about going to their house. I told him that we were going to his school for breakfast first, then would drive to meet Grandma. He said "no school today, it's Friday" and looked at me like I'd gone crazy. Well, when we arrived at his school for his Mother's Day Tea, it got ugly. I told him we would have some breakfast and he could give me his Mother's Day gift, then we would leave. He was in full blown panic stricken meltdown mode and all but refused to go inside. He thought I'd double crossed him. I took him to a quiet corner and forced him to look me in the eye while I calmly explained that I would NOT be leaving him and after the party, we'd leave TOGETHER to go see Grandma.

Once we were eating with all the other moms, he had started to settle down, although he would not let go of my hand...as though I would disappear as soon as he let go. When it came time to hand out his gift, he was in a great mood again. He was very proud of the flower pot he had decorated. I love it. It will be one of those things I will keep and cherish forever.

They did a great job on this shindig. Beyond the food, there were craft stations set up throughout his room, allowing mom/child to do fun projects together. We painted each other's hands and made handprint art, made handprint cutout flowers, and had our picture taken. He proudly showed me all his favorite toys and books...then took me by the hand and showed me the bathroom, where he said "mommy, this is where I pee pee all the time". He then showed me how the soap and sinks work and how he can wash/dry his hands "all by myself!".

We stayed a bit longer to meet some of the moms, then said our goodbyes to his teachers and left to meet Grandma Trish. Whew. MAJOR crisis averted.

I handed him over to Grandma at Starbucks and was off to do a major gear switch mid-day and attempt to get some work done. It was only sort of successful!

For our free night, Shawn and I went to dinner at Maggiano's Little Italy, then saw Star Trek, which alone, was worth a night without Ian. It will probably rank right up there as one of my favorite movies for a long time. I could have easily turned right back around and bought another ticket. Several scenes must be seen on the big screen and the casting was right on. I'm sure all but the most devout original Star Trek purists will enjoy it. Even the casual Sci Fi or action watcher will agree it's worth a full price ticket (which is now $10 in my neck of the woods. When did that happen?).

Even with dinner and a movie, we were home and in our sweats by 9pm, which was great. If I can get through a movie and dinner and still not be drop dead tired, I'm happy!

We were up, showered and dressed before 7am this morning (why?) and sitting in the parking lot of my favorite breakfast spot by 7:45 waiting for them to open. One amazing order of French Toast a'Orange later, I was one happy girl and ready for my day...without a child in tow. We headed out to my favorite local nursery to peruse their gift shop, then on to the outlet mall, where we were again there before any of the stores opened. It's amazing what you can accomplish before 10am on a Saturday!

My next mission was cleaning out Ian's closet, where I finally purged everything that is stained to it's limit or getting too small. The amount of kids clothes/PJ's going to charity this season is startling. How did he accumulate so much and why does it no longer fit him? He must be growing or something. ;-)

Some of my best news of the day is that I am finally caught up on laundry! I know. Very exciting... But it's one of the things I really struggle at getting a handle on. Since Ian started potty training, it has really started multiplying, but even our own grown up laundry piles up fast and I can't figure out why. None the less, I got caught up, including sheets and towels, so I feel amazingly accomplished today.

I ended my afternoon by napping on a lounge chair in the sun with my pup for about 30 minutes before heading out to pick up my little rug rat. I was even able to tack a trip to Pier One and Starbucks to that commute south to Tom/Trish's place...bonus!

Tomorrow is the real thing, but I actually feel like I've already had my Mother's Day... Ian's school Tea was the best and then time out to see a movie, have dinner, and then out again for breakfast, followed by a consented shopping trip and a nap outside...those are the things that would have all made for a great day tomorrow if they had occurred a day or two later.

I have no idea what is on tap for tomorrow. We'll see. Maybe nothing and maybe a big surprise. I'm trying not to get my hopes up since Shawn is leaving at 5:30am for a dive excursion. Between a Bachelor Party tonight and an early outing tomorrow, I doubt he'll have time to do anything. If he surprises me with a gift card to Underwater Sports, I might not be so understanding.

Happy Mother's Day to all my mommy friends, all my friends (im)patiently awaiting the arrival of their kids (either biologically or through adoption), and most of all a huge Happy Mother's Day to my own Mom and my Mother in Law. Mom, it's hard not celebrating this day at a distance. I hope it is a fun and special day for you and we'll toast a drink to motherhood in exactly 4 months, in Maui! Mom-in-law, Trish, if you've hung around to read this far (usually she just skips ahead to the pictures), you mean so very much to me... always treating me like your very own daughter and being a phenomenal Grandma to Ian. On a daily basis, I thank God for you and all you do for us.


When I get a smile like this, I have to take the shot. He is one tough cookie to get to look at the camera long enough (and still enough) for a good photo op.

This was one of the craft stations. We painted each other's hands and made hand prints on either side of a Mother's Day poem. I didn't get Ian to spread his fingers before he made the hand print...but it still turned out precious. A real keeper.

He just HAD to show me how the soap and sink work... he acted like it was revolutionary... unlike anything he's seen before. I guess that means we don't wash our hands at home enough. Guilty!


Finally coming around. He was making the rounds in his classroom.


Pretending to be a choo choo train...which is appropriate for a Mother's Day Tea, right?

He loves this statue in the parking lot of his school... the boy and girl reading. I think of my mom every time I see it.

Each day this week, he's stopped me and asked to "see the babies". This window looks in on one of the "ones" toddler rooms. Probably where he would have started out if he had begun daycare here just a little over a year ago.

A not so great picture of my Mother's Day presents... a hand decorated flower pot and a bouquet of lilies made from Ian & his classmates' hand prints. I can't wait to do this craft at home. So cute.

The cover of the fabulous card Ian made for me with Grandma Trish's help. I especially love that Ian is spelled "NIA" and mom is spelled "MOW (or WOM, depending on how you're reading it)".

Just a couple of pics of me with my other little one... Polli is as much my child as Ian. I couldn't live without her, either!

By the way, I'm not winding up to punch Shawn. I'm not sure what I was doing with my left hand there...

Ian sends a big "Happy Mother's Day" out to all the Mommies out there, including his Grama Pat and Grandma Trish!

2 comments:

  1. Stephani, I can relate to the picture of the statue. Your mom used to read to me all the time when we were young(er). My favorite book was "A Lantern in her Hand" by Bess Streeter Aldrich. i loved it so much I ordered two copies off the internet a few years ago and gave your mom a copy to read to AshleeRose. She was about 10 then. My devastation when your mmom said she didn't remember it.It is one of my best memories of growing up. I guess the one being read to enjoys it the most. Any way read to Ian lots because even if you don't remember it, he will cherish it always. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!!Aunt Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, this one made me tear up! Great post! So lucky to have a great relationship with your MIL since your Mom is out of state. And that little guy of yours is a doll. I love the tour of the bathroom! xoxo

    ReplyDelete