Saturday, April 18, 2009

Tiptoeing into Spring

I'm not really sure where I left of on my last post, but our week really started on Friday, when Ian visited his new class. I didn't take my camera as I'm not entirely sure yet what their policy is for taking pictures inside the school. I can tell you this much. He loved it. We walked in and he went straight for the train table (big shock). At that point, I probably could have left and it would have taken a couple of hours for him to notice that I was gone.

Shortly after arriving, they went outside and he listened to the teacher and followed directions perfectly, not at all worried about his new surroundings or different teachers. We stayed for an hour and then left for our long 30 second commute home to meet up with Grandma Trish so I could head to work. It will be soooo nice in the summertime when I can walk him to school on a pleasant summer morning, then walk to pick him up on a sunny summer afternoon.

Already, we've run into parents of other kids in his class. It's great having his school right in our neighborhood. For the naysayers, this is a big plus. It means better friendships long-term (if we stay up here forever) as they progress through the classes together, and good communication with other parents. That's a good thing no matter how you slice it. I grew up in the same neighborhood since I was five and still have contact (thanks to Facebook and other networking venues) with people I went to Kindergarten with. That's almost unheard of these days, so if I can even begin to provide that kind of beginning for my son, I'm happy.

On the potty training front, things are going well. At home we've had 3 accidents (at home) over the course of 7 days, which for our second week, is great progress. At home, he does great...is in comfortable surroundings, and has attentive adults right there every moment. At school, the teachers are busy and he is independent much of the time, so accidents are the norm rather than the exception there. They tend to give up after nap and leave him in a diaper, so he is only moderately successful there. I'm not doing much to push them at this point. With only 2 weeks left before he leaves, I can't imagine it will do much to say anything.

I would like to give some major recognition to Grandma Trish, who is accident free while in her charge. I've decided she deserves a "sticker chart" of her own and her reward will be gift cards to her favorite stores... since she won't let us pay her or buy her dinner. She can't very well turn down a Pier 1 or Chico's gift card, now can she?

Today, we headed to the mall for a new shoe fitting at Stride Rite. It has been a year since he had a professional fitting, at which time he was an Xtra Wide. Still is. Bricks for feet, this kid! He's been complaining lately that all of his shoes are too tight, and will only wear one pair- a cheap pair of Target shoes that he calls Quincy shoes because Little Einsteins Quincy wears a similar pair. I've bought 6 pairs of the same shoes now, since they can only get slightly wet or worn before they're disgusting... at $15 a pair, I've spent $90 for the only shoe he'll wear. Finally, he started complaining about those, too. So, off to Stride Rite we go, one of the only places we can get good quality Xtra Wide shoes for a 3 year old. Good thing we went. He's still a Wide or Xtra Wide and a full size bigger than his most recent shoes. Shawn freaked out (and turned a little pale) when he saw the prices, but if these shoes last him 4-5 months, it's still cheaper than replacing his cheap Target shoes every month like I have been. We ended up with a good pair of tennis shoes and a "hybrid" pair that he can wear with socks or as a sandal. I figure he'll be in Crocs or Keens full time between July and September anyway (and while we're in Hawaii), so these should last until Fall.

We went from there to the big Bellevue City Park, where I conveniently left my camera in the truck...But we didn't stay long. Ian was showing his long morning shift, after getting up much earlier than usual, so we headed home for nap and lunch.

I should also mention that today is the first day that we left the house without Ian's glasses. We decided to let it go, but afte his nap, he said his head hurt, so I think it gave him a headache. You can bet I never do that again! From now on, his spare set will be in my purse. Bad mommy! Bring on the negative anonymous commenters! :-p

After lunch, we tried heading out to the duck pond, but when they wouldn't even come to shore for bread (snobby Ridge ducks!), we continued walking and stopped at the grocery store, where I hauled around the "car cart" with 2 items for 30 minutes to make Ian happy. What ridiculous things we do for our children!

We ended the day with 7 stickers on Ian's chart for today alone (and Ian insisted on a sticker and M&M's for Shawn when he went, too). I made shrimp tacos and Ian stayed happy and energetic all the way up to bedtime, when he crashed out without so much as a peep. It was a great day.

What will tomorrow bring? No idea. Just the way I like it.


Helping mommy grind coffee for morning

Ian loves his sister!


Just being cute. What he does best.


Hanging out in daddy's garage...in his preppy golfing gear. Loved dragging out the plaid shorts!


Getting ready to go shoe shopping. I get this happy about shoes, too!


Walking thru Macy's. Who needs a stroller when you have such a pair of mature guys?


Playing in the backyard

Mr. Serious. I pretend this is a small version of what he'll look like as an adult. (check out the new spiffy sandals. Machine washable!)


Showing off his first band-aid. How I have a 3 year old who is just now getting his first band-aid, I have no idea!


It obviously didn't hurt that bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment