Monday, April 20, 2009

Bring the Spring

Surprisingly, I don't have a ton to say other than how proud I am of Ian. He's doing great on the potty training front, aside from some accidents here and there, but overall, I underestimated how great he would catch on. He genuinely wants to do a good job. Ian and Shawn have a saying "keep it clean", meaning no accidents in his underpants. Based on this campaign, Ian rewarded Shawn with a sticker and 2 M&M's for going pee without an accident. Yay, daddy!

Sunday was a great day, sunny and full of time outside. Ian got his "weekend TV time" in the morning, and was asking to play in his room after about an hour of Backyardigans. It's his newly found passion based on a video we bought to watch with him in China, but never took out of the wrapping (he was NOT AT ALL interested in TV for the first year). I loved it more than he did and immediately looked up Backyardigans music for in the car. It's a great blend of jazz, blues, skat, and big band... a great compliment to his favorite classical music (a'la Little Einsteins). My well rounded little man.

Before nap, we tried potty several times and then headed out for a "family" walk. He insisted he didn't need to go (No, mommy! I not!), but a few steps before we got to the sidewalk and he was pee'ing all over his new shoes. Darn it! I turned him around and told him that daddy & Polli get to go for a walk, but we didn't keep it clean, so we had to go clean up and miss the walk. I know that sounds harsh, but it was a great learning experience that next time he'd better go before the walk when given the chance. I took him inside and set him on the potty, and he cried his little eyes out. Not a "I'm in trouble" cry, or a "I want to go for a walk" cry... It was a "I failed" cry. He was really upset with himself. He really identified with the fact that he knew what to do but didn't do it. I consoled him and gave him positive feedback as we cleaned up and changed, but I also let him know that this is what happens when he doesn't try when mommy says to try.

He helped me clean up and apologized for "not keeping it clean" and then asked if we could find daddy & Polli. for a walk. He was drying his eyes and asking a big please, so we headed out and found them on the walk path. It's one of many lessons he'll learn. I won't pretend it wasn't hard to watch, but I was glad that he understood what he had done.

After nap, I took him out again to two of our many neighborhood parks. It was a gorgeous day, right around 70 degrees, and I got a little taste of what summer weekends will be like with him. I stretched my brain to remember this time last year, but couldn't remember him being nearly this interested in going for a walk or enjoying the weather. Be sure I'll dig up some pics from last year to do a "then and now" montage.

We have nothing on tap this week, so we'll be watching the weather and acting accordingly. I bought a book called "Bringing Out Baby", which shows the amenities and kid friendly features of the Puget Sound's prime parks and attractions. I plan to pick two spots every week to take Ian after school or on weekends this spring and summer. I'm also hoping to plan a "Meetup" at a fun NW location every month...I'm tired of waiting for a working mom friendly playgroup. There are tons of former coworkers and friends from school that I've reconnected with on Facebook with kids. Time is going to pass us all by. I need to do something about it! Even if it means the occasional "hookie" day, I'm fine with that. I get enough vacation time to afford it every once in a while.

I lied before. We do have something planned this week...Ian actually is slated to visit his new class again Friday afternoon. I hope to stay for a little while, but then leave and give him a taste for his interaction with the teachers and kids. We need a few dry runs of "mommy's here!", so this will be helpful. I love that they have this easy transition plan before he even starts. It will make my life so much easier come May 4th. I also figured out that I'll save about 100 miles and about 2 hours a week by moving him. That's 400 miles and 8 hours a month, and more than a tank of gas, and about a a work shift of extra time with him. That may sound silly to those who are with their kids every waking moment, but that's huge for me! I am so excited.

I also lied before... I had a lot to say.


Another awesome week. This sticker chart works! Even better than M&M's!



He's settling into the idea of backyard lounging just fine!


Mona Lisa's smile. I sometimes wonder what complex thoughts are going thru this little boy's mind.




Playing at the park...on a "big kid toy". He felt very grown up playing at the big kid park.

The sensitive son of mine always has a soft spot for a flower


Still enjoying the big kid toy... See, he survived the earlier "accident breakdown". I've realized that kids survive more than we can sometimes.
I love it when his hair blows in the breeze. Run, Ian, run!


I tried all day to get Mt. Si in the background. I love that all of this is within steps of our house. Despite our crummy weather 90% of the time, how could I not want to raise my son here?

On our walk... on the section thru the woods. I was SURE we'd have an accident, but he held it... seems he learned something earlier!


...But starting to look a little to "serious" for my comfort zone. Better not push my luck. Let's get home!

2 comments:

  1. I first saw the sticker chart on Jon&Kate plus 8 and thought it was a great idea! I'll keep that one in the memory bank. Glad it's working for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Ian! Keep up the good work. Jake is going to start this same road soon, as well. Maybe we'll set up the sticker chart, too.

    Violet

    ReplyDelete