Sunday, April 5, 2009

April comes in like a lion...

I have not been much in the mood to blog. I'm sorry for being lazy, but I've actually been really busy! I'll give you a quick run down of our past week and then on to the pictures. That's always the best way to communicate what Ian's been up to in the first place. Hopefully I'll get out of my slump soon and have the energy again to tell a big story.


Monday: Ian stayed home sick after such a big weekend. He slept all but a few hours of the day and bounced back fast.

Tuesday: Eye doctor appointment. No changes to his prescription and they were so proud of him for wearing his glasses religiously with no complaints or problems. Unfortunately, there is nothing they can do to "extend" his nose bridge and resolve the problem we're having with his glasses hitting his eyelashes. It will have to wait until his next "upgrade" next year.

Thursday: Three year checkup! Ian is 32 pounds and 3 feet/1 inch. That puts him at the 35th percentile for height and 90th percentile for weight. Wow! He's still a butterball, despite the changes in his body structure since coming home. There were no concerns about his health other than his iron still showing a little low, but overall, he found Ian to be doing great and doesn't need to see him for another year! This turns the focus back to maintaining his hearing tests and ENT appointments at Children's.

Friday: Uncle Andrew came to visit. Grandma watched Ian like normal and Shawn & Andy went to the falls and up to the top floor of the Lincoln Plaza tower to see the view. I woke to several inches of snow Friday, but it melted by noon, leaving a nice afternoon. We had a great Chinese dinner and Cheesecake Factory dessert before bidding adieu to Uncle Andrew. He leaves to head back to Minnesota on Tuesday.

Saturday: It was a gorgeous day! Shawn embarked on day 2 of a 3 day hockey tournament and left early. Ian, Polli, & I headed out to the dog park for a morning in the sun with a gazillion pups. As usual, they both loved it. Afterward, we hustled home to change from our muddy dog clothes, grabbed a snack, then headed back out to see Shawn play hockey. We battled massive traffic and made it just in time. Ironically, I don't know that I saw Shawn on the ice one time. Ian ran the entire time and I never did pay attention to the game. We met Shawn for dinner later, after which he headed back for more games. We had some very unsuccessful potty training efforts, and then Ian crashed...hard. Poor kid, another crazy weekend!

Sunday: A VERY gorgeous day. I have no idea how warm it got, but it was really nice. You'd never know it was snowing 2 days ago! I intended to use today as a full force potty training boot camp day. From the time Ian woke, he went in big boy pants. Of course, he held it for hours. He just refused to go. He sighed and said "pee pee now" as soon as I put his nap diaper on. Little sucker! He had 2 accidents, then finally had one big success. A matchbox car we had on display as incentive was finally his. He wouldn't let it out of his sight the rest of the night. It was in his grasp as I turned out the lights. He had worked the whole weekend for that thing.

This week... Well, tomorrow he goes COLD TURKEY to big boy pants at school tomorrow. This should be interesting. For what we pay, I'd like this to be their one last big task before he leaves that center... which reminds me!...
IAN GOT INTO HIS NEW SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a big deal. We only waited for 11 months. He'll start on May 4th. My enrollment meeting is Wednesday. Lots of short sentences to describe something so big that I can't even put it into words. With this transition, I will also start a new work schedule that will allow him to sleep in another hour and stay up later. That will come in handy with the longer days and busier afternoon schedules. It'll be nice to let him hang at the park later vs. leaving at 5 to get home for dinner and bedtime routine in the middle of summer.


OK. Pictures:



6am on Friday morning. It warmed up from below freezing Friday morning to almost 70 today. Maybe we'll finally get the reprieve to our horrible winter weather.


Uncle Andrew and Ian enjoying cheesecake

Up close with a herd of elk. They were MUCH closer than they appear here!


Dipping into the ketchup and hot mustard at the Chinese restaurant. He did get a bit of the mustard and actually recovered quickly.



Hanging out at the dog park. He loves this place. Best dollar I could spend on a Saturday.

It was very muddy after the weather we've had. I'm so glad Shawn wasn't with us. They were much dirtier than they look here.

Taking a rest on a bench. He wanted to lay down and take a nap. That was my hint that it was time to head home. In the end, he never did get a nap that day!


Watching daddy play hockey.


Enjoying his beans and rice at Azteca. For a kid who didn't have a nap, he was in a very good mood all day!


We got the OK from the pediatrician, so today, Ian had his very first peanut butter! We noticed a rash on his face later, but we don't know that it's from the peanut butter just yet.

Shawn brought Ian this water bottle. It's almost as big as he is...and I don't want him walking and drinking from it for fear of what might happen.

6 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that parents who dump their small, helpless children in a daycare center attempt to make themselves feel better about what they are doing by calling it school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous:

    Not everyone can stay at home with their children, some of us have to work. I think Stephe has looked at Ian's education long and hard and is doing what's best for all given the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still find it hard to believe the audasity of some people!!! It is the quality of time spent together not neccesarily the Quantity of time, and the love that he is shown in that time. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's both quality and quanitity. Children need to be with their loving Mommies - PERIOD!

    And most mothers could stay home with their children given some sacrifice, many just don't feel the sacrifice is worth the priceless lives of the children they are said to care so deeply about. It's a sad commentary on American society really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are people out there who are mothers who don't work, stay home with their children 24/7 but don't deserve to even be called mothers let alone good. Stephani is Not one of them. Ian has one of the best mothers and fathers around. Both parents go to great lengths to see Ian is exposed to every type of learning experience. His "school" is manned by college educated teachers. They can (at any time) check in on what Ian is doing via a video connection on the computer. Ian is experiencing music, numbers, reading, etc. not to mention the interaction of his peers. This is NOT a 2.00 dollar an hour joint where the kids are shoved into a corner; it is a very important learning enviroment.These parents are making sacrifices on many levels so Ian can have every oportunity to become a well educated, well adjusted person not a recluse, couch potato that experiences nothing unless it seen on T.V.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a better mom because I work. If I were here all the time, I'm afraid that I wouldn't sufficiently value the blessing of time with my kids. When I'm home for even a few consecutive days, I find myself telling them to go away because I'm busy . . . doing house "stuff." I'll play with them "later." When I come home from work, we are glad to see each other. I am more patient and appreciative.

    Every family is different. I admire moms who can stay home; it's not in my personality. Neither is working full time. Half time works for me.

    Let's not judge each other.

    Steph - you do what feels right and prepare to adjust as Ian's needs and your needs change, and change again. Do not let the criticism of anonymous strangers get to you. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete