Thursday, March 12, 2009

Snowy Day...Sunny Day

I won't delay with much back story here. There's not much to tell other than the fact that I've been sick this week with little opportunity to create adventure. Essentially, it's an adventure in and of itself that that we had snow and record cold temps Monday and Tuesday...and super sunny weather yesterday and today. It was still chilly though, but 30's in the morning and upper 50's in the afternoon, making for a good reason to get out and get some fresh air. It really did make me feel better. Ian and I had a great afternoon at a big park that we hadn't been to yet, and then dinner of Chicken Noodle soup at Panera.

On the way home, Ian asked if he could watch "a TV about China", so upon arriving home, we watched the Dragon Kite episode of Little Einsteins, which includes The Great Wall and several stops in China. As rocket flew over the China landscape, Ian pointed to the patchwork of farms and said "Mommy, look! Ian born down there!" I love that he is fascinated with China. I hope that enthusiasm continues as he gets older, eventhough it will eventually mean talking about some tough topics. It will be so interesting to do a heritage trip when he's 10 or so.

While at the park today, a little girl around 5 or 6 came up to us and asked me why Ian wears glasses. I told her they help him see better. She persisted...asking if he is blind if he takes his glasses off. I told her no, but things are very blurry. She also asked if he will have to wear glasses forever and if he wore glasses when he was a baby. Nosy little girl, but very inquisitive. Not once did she ask about his ear. To date, we've only had two people ask... one curious 5 year old (who asked if his ear would grow back...very cute) and one very rude grown man (who asked if it was bitten off by a dog or fell off from frostbite).

Below are a bunch of pictures as the week progressed. Hard to believe it was snowing 72 hours ago!

Getting ready for school either Monday or Tuesday. Its's a blur. I hate the ever present glare on his glasses, but it didn't seem important at the time to get the coating. I definitely will when he gets new specs next year.


This is Monday. It was snowing very hard...and he was obsessed with filling his dump truck with snowballs, dumping it, then smashing the snowballs. He's such a boy!


Playing with the snowball maker. It really makes awesome little snowballs super fast.

Today... Just a few days later... Playing at Downtown Bellevue Park.

The closest thing to a swing I can get him to ride. He is petrified of the real thing. This reminds me of the apparatus in China's parks.


Ian and his train preparing to go down a slide


He did awesome on the ladders, which he could never do before he got his glasses.

Add a few more skyscrapers, a gateway, and some Tai Chi... and this could have been in one of the countless parks in China.


Strolling with complete strangers

I think it's a quarter mile around this little canal...and he ran the entire thing.


Having a nice chat with one of the locals. Aflac.




Ian getting in touch with his roots... A common male activity in China... Relaxing on a park bench. Just kidding (a little). Now, if he were smoking and playing a tile or card game, it'd be authentic.

Enjoying chicken noodle soup for dinner. He asks for soup for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Peek a boos under the table

Hitting a wall...literally.

1 comment:

  1. I know the weather was crazy last week! I took a picture of the snow piled up in our back yard on Sunday and emailed to Oscar in Dallas then I took a picture the blaring sunshine on my drive home from my parents on Tuesday. Weather is nuts!

    I love Bellevue Park, clean, good fun! Gotta love Bellevue (can you tell I miss it?).

    I love the pic of Ian with his snowball maker. Ozzie's gotta get one of those!

    ReplyDelete