Sunday, January 4, 2009

Back to the Grind

Well, one more day until we're all back to the grind. Ian is at 100% and ready to head back to school. I'm at about 50%, but need to get back to a work focus. Shawn starts back after 2 weeks off.

This time last year, I was preparing to go back to work from my leave with Ian. It was a bittersweet time. I wanted to see my coworkers and have some adult interaction, but knew I would miss Ian horribly. Now, a whole year later, I can see how good daycare has been for him. He has grown in a million ways I never would have thought possible. I can't even begin to imagine what change another year will bring.

On to the important topic of the day: Ian's eye appointment. We had noticed since day one that he gets up really close to toys, inspects everything with an engineer's detail, and puts his nose right down in books. He also sits right up at the screen of the TV, which reminded me of how my brother used to watch TV, and he badly needed glasses.

How glad am I that we got him in. I only wish we would have done it earlier. He is -8 Myopic or near-sighted in both eyes. The doctor suggested that he get him started in glasses ASAP. He said without knowing Ian's family history and if his birth parents had vision issues, he wagers a guess that Ian might have been a preemie. We'll never know, but I'll always wonder.

Anyway, I started imagining what he would look like with glasses. I've always thought he'd look a little like the Gosselin boy with glasses (Jon & Kate Plus Eight son Aedan). Maybe he'll be a dark haired version of the Jerry McGuire boy or the boy from Meet the Robinsons. We'll see. I know Ian would look cute with a sack on his head, so I'm not worried.

So next, we need to deal with the complexity of fitting a toddler with glasses... and not only that, but a toddler with one full sized ear and an almost non existent nose bridge. This should be fun!

From all the advice I've received from other parents, it seems like this will be a little like potty training, in that we'll have to take it really slow and reward like crazy. I'm beginning to realize why we're motivated by "stuff" as adults... we're bribed to do things from birth practically! I'm all for bribing if it gets the job done though. If an M&M or gummy bear gets him to keep his glasses on or to go in the big potty, I'm fine with it.

Speaking of potty, I'm sure this is too much information, but he's gone #2 on his potty 3 ***THREE*** days in a row! No pee yet, which I thought would have been first, but I'll take what I can get. Ice cream was his treat the first time, the second time he got a pack of gummy snacks, and the third time was a Matchbox car. I know I'll have to come up with some kind of system now that I have a multiple reward thing going on. Geez. I have a full time job and now this complicated project? Gimme a break!

We also finally got Ian in for a haircut. His last full haircut was in July, and just a trim of the sides in August... after which, we decided we wanted to let it grow out "just because". It was cute for a couple of months and then just got shaggy and stringy. Shawn and I had both taken the scissors to him at one point or another, and it was getting to the point that he looked silly. He's never fun at the hair place and they can never seem to figure out what to do with the hair around his little ear, so I was dreading it. He did really well. I was prouder than proud. He sat still the whole time and the lady handled his ear with tact and did a great job of keeping it even despite his asymmetry. I was more than happy to pay their ridiculous price of $18 for a toddler cut.

Below are a few pics from our weekend. Again, not a lot since we're just coming out of our housebound-ness. Hopefully, I'll have pics of Ian getting fitted with glasses in a few days. Yikes!

Yet another adorable picture of Ian and Polli at the window. I could never have too many of these.



Ian wanted to take a picture of of his feet next to daddy's. Too cute.

His face is almost completely clear! Thank God for antibiotics

Meet our little noodle addict


So excited about his potty reward. I never knew a 99 cent metal car could bring such joy.

5 comments:

  1. If Ian was a preemie, that could explain why he was late walking, and cutting teeth, and if oxygen was over-used, eye-sight damage.Amazing what secrets that little head holds.Someone mentioned once that Ian's chinese name meant twin. Twins are usually early and need oxygen. Hmmm? I am sure everyone is excited to see pics of Ian in specs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quinn was 18 months when he got his glasses...he did great with them because he could SEE with them on!! Hope Ian is the same....

    He would be cute with a sack on his head....when do we get to see that picture? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been awhile but I'm back :)Happy to see Ian again. Hope you all had a very Merry Christmas. Not that I want poor little Ian to have to wear glassses, but I cannot wait to see pictures. I'm sure he will look even cuter (if it's possible) :)
    I know when Daniel wore his plastic sunglasses they'd fall right off. He fixed that by wearing them upside down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have not had poo on the potty yet, but plenty of #1. Unfortunately, she is so not interested right now. She was for a long time, but now she is all about diapers again. Oh well - she is only 27 months so we have time. Yay Ian for going #2 three days in a row on the potty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness - with all the "stuff" you buy him no wonder you can't afford the glasses! You could still reward him but an entire pack of gummies? Does he need that much sugar? A much more modest approach would go something like this - 1 M&M for trying to potty, 2 M&M's for peeing and 3 M&M's for pooping.

    ReplyDelete