Monday, January 5, 2009

Getting Ready for Glasses

When I picked Ian up from school today, he was SUPER happy and had had a great first day back. With the exception of a few shadows of his sores, he looked back to normal. I had a good day too, although my throat is still on fire and I had to talk to new hires for 3 hours straight.

After school, we went straight to the eyeglass place. The opthamologist suggested a place in Redmond, which isn't far from us. Supposedly, they specialize in fitting kids and are familiar with fitting kids with Microtia.

I told Ian we were going to try on glasses and he could wear glasses just like: Grama, Paga, Grandpa Tom, Uncle Rex...and most importantly Leo from Little Einsteins. That did the trick. For the whole ride there, he said "Mommy, try on glasses like Leo!" It was already going better than expected.

Upon arriving, he was thrilled with the play area. It was quite a challenge just to get him to the very adult like, sterile side of the room where the optical department resided. He did pretty well as long as he could look in the mirror. He was so excited at how he looked in glasses and was willing to keep them on for several seconds. It was very exciting. What was NOT exciting? The prices. It's a little fancy schmancy and in an area where most people can afford to drop large bills with a yawn, so I guess they can charge what they want if people are willing to pay it. Unfortunately, the first 4 or 5 pairs she showed us were from $200-$325 just for the frames. Ummm. He's 2. I think not! Of course his lenses need to be strong, so alone, they'll be anywhere from $115 to $150, depending on how shatterproof, light, and scratch resistant we want them to be. Sigh.

Finally, after Ian had already retreated back to the play area, she pulled out what she called her "last resort". They were light, rubber, and cartoonish. Totally silly....and UNBREAKABLE! They're often chosen for infants and "training" glasses. Yeah, that's us! I took several pair over to Ian and tried them. Not only did they fit snugly on his head with the headband, they actually balance OK on his ear nubby. He didn't seem at all bothered by them and if in a different color, they might actually be cute. The best part of all is that they were only $79 for the frames with a warranty. Seems like a no brainer.

I took several pictures to show Shawn and he agreed with me that something like that might be the best choice for "training" until he learns to be responsible, wear them correctly, and take care of them. Once we've mastered wearing them and actually getting them home in one piece, we can move to fancy metal mini-GQ frames. I'm going back with Shawn this weekend to make a final decision. My goal is to have 2 pair for, after insurance, $300. Lofty goal, I know...But he needs them, and if it makes his world bigger and brighter and easier, I'm all for it.

Afterward, I told him we were going to Target for a toy for being so good. He was thrilled about getting a "special toy". Once there, I made the mistake of going down the Thomas Train aisle and it was all over. Highway robbery is all I can say, but he was thrilled with his choice. Henry with a "coal car". All he could say throughout the store was "Mommy, go 'have to pay first", OK? We got Polli a "special toy" since that's only fair... and we headed home.

Below are a few cute pictures from the fitting:


He did great with these... but they were the most expensive of all the frames we tried. How long would they last? I was afraid to ask. At this price he would get one pair...and insurance or not, it would be a major headache bringing them in every week for repair.

I can see him sitting and doing his homework in these. They'll make great "big boy" glasses once he understands the purpose behind them and can take some responsibility for them (does that actually happen ever?).


These are the rubber unbreakable "training" glasses. Although I don't like the yellow, I think they're actually really cute. This is the only time in his life he'll be able to get away with "cartoon" glasses, so why not?


Side profile... I'm thinking in dark blue or gray.


I didn't like this shape or color. He looked like he was trying on an adult's glasses.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, the little training glasses look good on Ian. He seems to wear alot of bright primary colors; I would go with the blue. The main thing is him seeing the world clear and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute. Glasses look really good on him, actually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, is he ever adorable in glasses!

    ReplyDelete