Friday, January 2, 2009

Welcome 2009!

Happy New Year, everyone!

I'm a little late, mostly because I'm super sick. Again! 2008 Began and ended with illness for me. I had about 9 separate respiratory-ish sicknesses throughout the year, yet Ian has gotten sick a total of 3 times since coming home. He brings every little germ home from daycare and shrugs them off like nothing, but they hit me like a ton of bricks... healthy lifestyle or not. So goes the life of a mom with a 2 year old, I guess!

As for Ian, his rash from Christmas worsened and turned into sores all over his face. He also continued to have sinus issues, so I decided it was time to take him in. We went to the doctor on Monday and learned that he does indeed have an upper respiratory infection and dreaded impetigo. There had been a reported case of impetigo at his school 2 weeks ago, so he must have been carrying it around for a while and it became active when he broke out in the rash or sinus thing...or both. Anyway, he started antibiotics on Monday and by Wednesday was down to only a few sores. Today he woke with one remaining spot and a clear nose, which we haven't seen for weeks.

Despite it all, he hasn't lost his zest for life and all the energy that goes with it. I wish I could say as much for myself, but I'm glad to see that he's a highly functioning sick child. Without the physical symptoms, you'd never know he was sick.

The impetigo meant that he couldn't go to school for a few days, which combined with the holiday, kept him home all week. We still have to pay for daycare though. That stinks.

He'll be ready and raring to go on Monday though, and hopefully I will too. I have a very busy work week that can't be put off.

As you can imagine, we slept through the New Year's celebrations. My drink of choice to ring in the New Year was Nyquil. Hopefully 2009 will be a bit more optimistic for all of us than 2008 was. In retrospect, it was a bittersweet year. It wasn't great from an economic perspective, but it was historic in many ways, too. Most of all, it was Ian's first full calendar year as our son... Making it a good year no matter what.

Today, Ian has an eye appointment, which will hopefully be less dramatic than his pediatrician's office (where it seems like they're always wanting a blood draw).

Below are a few pictures from this week. Not much as I haven't really had the strength to lift the camera.


Helping daddy hang his new race track decals



He really enjoys these... and luckily, they peel right off (as long as he doesn't figure that out).


When you're sick, there's nothing better than snuggling up with your best buddy.

A traumatic trip to the doctor means 2 things: Ice Cream and new Cars.

On the mend. This was Thursday. Only a few sores left!

Everyone has their own laptop but Polli!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Steph.

    I just saw your RQ post about Ian's glasses and realized I had not visited your blog in forever. Sorry you guys had the health blues over the holidays. There is nothing worse that being sick at Christmastime! Glad to see Ian's is better. Now that you have a diagnosis for his eyes, I'll bet he enjoys seeing better and will want to wear the glasses. Good luck guys and have a happy new year.
    Violet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw on RQ that Ian will need glasses. My 3rd son got glasses at his third birthday. The ophthmalogist recommend that we start slow and let him choose to wear them just to avoid a power struggle. She told him the rule was, "On your face or in the case!" We never had a moment's trouble, and within a very short time, he was asking for them as soon as he woke up. It's been the same for Ari's baha. It seems that in both cases, the child noticed the difference and has adjusted easily to their "helpers." I think little kids look adorable in glasses - Cameron looked like himself in them from the moment he put them on. (Still, I have hoped that Ari doesn't ever need glasses since her little ear would not hold them on, and she already has one band around the top of her head to hold her hearing aid; I don't want to have to put another band around the back to hold glasses. LOL.)
    Good luck with Ian's glasses. I bet they'll make a huge difference.
    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  3. That race track on the wall is about the coolest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete