Friday, August 17, 2007

Is it Today? TA? Are You On the Way?


Several folks online who received their LOA (Letter Seeking Confirmation from Adopter) on 7/30 are receiving their Travel Approvals today. I'm still waiting for the call, but I expect one. This would be 3 weeks and about right in comparison with the last few groups of TA's. I had expected this week or next.
Unfortunately, Shawn's work schedule might make travel plans dicey. We had already told our agency (a year ago in fact) that we couldn't travel until after Sept. 07. It was why we sort of drug our feet in the paperchase and then just barely made the May 1 rule change cut off because of it! As it turns out, we could not have unknowingly set ourselves on the perfect course to fit the timeline we set this time last year. Thanks for finding us when you did, Ian!

So, if we can't travel in September, that means October, right? No! Most of October is filled with holidays in China that will most likely make government appointments scarce with so many families trying to get in and out of Guangzhou before hotel pricing and availability become a problem. I don't know if I want to be there when the energy is so frantic. I want that week to be about relaxing at the end of the trip and enjoy Ian (not to mention the Starbucks!).

Above and beyond all of that, we both like the idea of me writing off work until after the first of the year, which means leaving later rather than sooner for China. Sigh. I've had to force myself to think long term. A few extra weeks between us and Ian will be painful at first, but I think it will be a non-issue later. It will be hard, however, to see those families with similar dates to ours traveling and in China in September...when we coulda shoulda woulda.

Today, we discussed a compromise: as long as his work schedule cooperates, we'll see what we can do to leave for the first third of our trip during the last part of Guangzhou's Trade Fair so that we're there the first or second week of November. Since we're planning to do some time in Beijing (hopefully not literally) before heading to Hangzhou, this will mean we would be reaching Guangzhou after Trade Fair is over and things aren't so chaotic there.

Whew! Are you following me yet? Now you all might understand why I've been so stressed! My next post should be some great news about our Travel Approval! My congratulations go out to all the other families in line for their TA's in this batch, too. For those counting the days, hang on! It's almost your turn, too! With my fancy travel math above, we might all be in China together anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment