Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Little of This... And a Little of That

Not much to say on this post, but I'm making up for my last entry's lack of kid pics by overdoing it a little here.

Saturday was a lazy family day. Ian stayed in his PJ's all day and I only went out to do some light grocery shopping. Sunday, we stayed in all day again, but ventured out after naptime to watch Shawn play hockey. During the game, Ian found the video game area in the building and was enthralled by what the big kids were doing. I told him the gun games were broken when he asked me "what is that?". I said, "Those are big kid games that don't work when little kids play them". I fib like that all the time. I'm not sorry. He also thinks Nutri Grain bars are endorsed by The Little Einsteins... and that raisins taste just like gummy snacks.

Ian had the day off Monday with daddy and they stayed in their PJ's again, doing pretty much nothing. I was so jealous! When I take days off, they're to complete an impossible list of tasks like Speech Evaluations...doctors appointments...blood draws... haircuts...and other torturous events. Dad gets to hang out in jammies and watch reruns of Top Gear with his son. Darn that Eve and her apple!

The rest of this week should have more of the same routine. We have nothing major planned for the weekend, so I might take Ian to the Children's Museum in Seattle. We haven't been to that one yet. You'll know if we do!

A few small updates: Ian loves his glasses. They're the first thing he asks for in the morning and whines when I take them off at night. They are obviously making a difference that he can measure now...In just a few short weeks. I never thought it would be this easy.

Also, we're having no potty success, so we're backing off. He gets to sit on the potty if he asks, but there's no pressure and he still accepts diapers. It will happen eventually!

His new favorite phrases are: "Hey, I need Privacy!" and "I NEED THAT". He is also constantly asking "What is that" and "What is ____ doing?", which is a direct result of the many weeks of question words and phrases we practiced with his Brain Quest cards.

He asks all the time if people and things are sad. If a toy is all alone or if Polli throws a stuffed animal around, he asks if they're sad. We watched WALL-E and he asked over and over if WALL-E was sad and where his mommy and daddy went. He makes an instant connection with being alone and sadness.

We're eagerly awaiting his name to come up on the new school's list... His current school is really getting on our nerves. Just once I would like good feedback instead of hearing about how disruptive he is at naptime, or how he wouldn't listen, or any other number of countless things that 2 year olds do, but also points out the lack of engagement and supervision he gets. He doesn't eat the food they offer, sleeps poorly, gets cranky in the afternoon, etc. At least at the new place we'll be able to supply his lunches AND we'll have access to webcams all day. Cool.

At the new school, he'll also have computer time, Spanish class, Kindermusik, and several other great programs...all included. We get none of that now. I'm hoping we're able to get him in sometime before his birthday, but that's starting to look unlikely.

There's not much else going on, so for now, you'll have to make due with a few very random pictures of the weekend:


I don't know why, but he LOVES wearing my shoes. Never Shawn's... Only mine. The higher the heel, the better. Who can't resist a great pair of Kenneth Cole pumps? And he's running in these!

Doing Brain Quest "Max" cards with daddy. These are awesome... I highly recommend for speech therapy. They prompt great vocabulary bursts in numerous categories and prompt the use of prepositions and question words.

Doing "Run Jumps"... Pretty much all he wants to do, all the time. It's essentially Simon Says around the kitchen, living room, and laundry room... Over and over and over and over. Who needs a gym?


I just happen to like this smirk. He's obviously up to something, huh? p.s. I absolutely hate his haircut!

When I showed him this picture on the camera, he copied the pose exactly. Such a little charmer!



Pretending to play video games at the ice rink. I tried to keep him out of this area, but I think they have boy magnets built into the floor.

Naturally, his favorite was the car racing game. Even without quarters, it kept him entertained for 15 minutes.
Wondering why this is in here? This folks, is my son outside playing ALONE! He went out all by himself, which has NEVER happened before. It's a big milestone I didn't even mention above. Before I know it, he'll be taking off with his friends down the street on their bikes. I think of that every time I see neighbor kids out and about. I could cry just thinking about it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the Brain Quest tip - we have our first eval with Early Intervention soon and a Speech eval shortly after. We also have an ABR and CT scan coming up. I'm gonna try to summarize soon all that we've been pursuing these last three weeks into a blog post. I have to digest it all and make sure I understand it first :)

    ReplyDelete