Friday, February 20, 2009

Fabulous February Friday

Grandma Trish and Ian had another great day together, although Ian was pretty adamant at first with her that she go home, but then panicked when she actually did put her coat back on and walk out the door. He was pretty floored that she actually went. She came back in of course, and from that point on, he wanted her to go, but he wanted to go with her... Saying over and over that he wanted to go to Grandma's house.

We also made the mistake of mentioning a walk after breakfast and he got very excited about that. Problem is, Polli also gets excited at the word "walk" and needless to say, I left Trish with a pretty rowdy bunch to manage.

By all accounts, it was a great days as alway. I love this day at the end of the week when he can just do his own thing and have one on one attention after four days of chaos and over stimulation. I have a hard time believing that, other than mom and dad, there are better caretakers for kids than their very own Grandmas. I only wish my mom were closer so she could have some of that time with him, too... and we'd save a bunch more money! Hey, it would be a win win.

Alas, it can't be that way. I'm trying to figure out a way to get Ian to see my parents before Maui in September, but I'm not sure it's going to work out. Logistically, we're really limited right now and honestly, have 2 vacations coming up in the next 6 months, so...well. I'm sad. We'll work something out, mom & dad!

So, we have nothing planned for this weekend but as I mentioned before, I've been thinking of taking Ian to the Children's Museum in Seattle. However, we're reported to have nice weather tomorrow, so I might take the kiddos to the dog P-A-R-K and then either head into the city on Sunday or take Ian swimming. Haven't decided yet.

Today, Grandma took Ian for a walk to a coffee shop in our neighborhood. It was a traitor move against Starbucks across the street, but I'll forgive it this time. They had a great time chasing their shadows and enjoying the crisp sunny winter day, and when I got home from work he had just gotten up from his nap, in good spirits.

I was thinking about playing a movie to keep him up later this evening (in preparation for another pre-7am wake up like last Sat/Sun), but he started putting together a train track in the kitchen (completely by himself) and has been at it for almost 2 hours now. Why interrupt imagination with brain drain? So, right now he's playing "school bus trains", his own invention. I love that he is getting very independent in his play and also that he is using his imagination more and more. Often, when he talks through what his toys are doing, he includes "mommy & daddy toys" and "Ian & Polli" toys... and if it involves a motor vehicle, everyone is ALWAYS sitting in their proper "real life" spot in the vehicle. So cute...and way more creative and intuitive than when I was 2. I know that for sure.

Also big news, Ian had #2 success on the potty tonight! We were all so excited that we forgot about the M&M's reward. After dinner, he picked out his 2 M&M's and then had to be convinced to eat them. They went for train rides, rode on a flat bed rig, etc. He gets so excited about picking out his colors (and takes forever to decide) that he doesn't want to squander the moment. With any other candy type treat, he scarfs it down like nothing, but his 2 precious M&M's are savored. This is be why we will make him EARN his first car.

I also wanted to share a little story that I don't have a picture for... Today, we were doing letter flashcards and when we got to the Z card, Ian said "Seven this way, and seven upside down". I corrected him that it was a Z... and it took me several minutes to figure out what he saw: A 'Z" really is 2 sevens. Look for yourself. My kid is awesome... Although he also said to me the other day "Mommy, you're so money!", just like Vince Vaughn did in Swingers... a movie Ian has obviously never seen... Where did that come from? Kids are amazing!

Below are a few pictures from his Friday with Grandma...and afterward.
Oh, and I wanted to send out a big thank you to everyone "still" reading our blog so long after Ian has come home. I know blogs were a big source of learning and inspiration for me as we waited, and then ultimately brought Ian home...proving that 1) There IS an end to the wait, 2) We COULD do this, 3) Kids persevere, and 4) Parents can survive it all. The main reason why I keep it going is to be that source of comfort for other families, whether they be China families, other countries, Microtia families...or even the working moms out there trying to juggle it all. I reached 40,000 hits on my blog a few days ago, and while I'm sure half are my mom and mother in law, and the other half my coworkers, the few others out there...Thank you! You keep me going, even on the days I want to hang it up. I know blogs that get that many hits in a month, but for me, that's a big deal... almost 2 and a half years later!


Ian only watches TV a few times a week at most, so he hasn't really broken the close TV watching habit yet. Polli knows the proper distance she is supposed to sit from the screen.


Grandma getting hellos from her grandkiddos


Saying hi to his shadow

Traitor Ian... I mean, Ian drinking a smoothie at Zoka Coffee.

Checking out his Lego train tunnel

'Sup, Mom?!

I only include this to show how short his pants have gotten. In just the past few weeks, almost ALL of his pants have stopped fitting him. Up to now, he's worn the same size pants as in China although he's grown more than 6 inches.


Presented with the M&M's container. Check out that face. Could it get any better than this?

After several minutes, he finally picked his colors... Red and Orange. He usually picks only blue.


Building his train set in the kitchen. I only had to help him move two pieces, otherwise, it's all him.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the potty success! I still enjoy reading about the adventures of Ian and Polli whenever I can. I've always liked how open and honest you are in sharing all of the experiences you have had with building your family. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, you are so money!! That is too cute.
    Also, I'm glad you mentioned the Seattle Art Museum. I had a friend who said her membership to SAM and Children's museum were a god send during the winter months. I was planning to but forgot to mention that you. I think you posted something about what to do with him on rainy days either here or fb? No I'm not stalking you! But I may just stalk that adorable little boy of yours!

    ReplyDelete