Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Week In Review

I've been stockpiling pictures all week due to a lack of time to update.

We finally had decent enough weather to take Ian's tricycle out for a test drive. Unfortunately, it was freezing cold and almost dark, so we only stayed out for about 15 minutes, but he got the hang of the pedals pretty quickly. It will take a bit of time to get the pedals AND steering down, but he loved it and kept saying "Mommy, I was going SO FAST!". One day we'll look back on those pictures and laugh at how small the tricycle is. It's perfect for him now, and will be great to have for some time as it folds in half and is made from 75% recycled materials, which makes me feel good (my "lower carbon footprint" resolution and all). It's currently in the living room and is fun to push around the kitchen. Once it warms up a little, we'll take it out again.

A high majority of the 112 pictures I took this week feature a naked kid, so alas, I can't publish them. I let him run around with no pants on most of the day yesterday in the hopes that we'd have a potty training opportunity, but the stinker held it until his nap diaper went on...and I could see the look of relief on his face before we were done with our first story. He's a little too smart for his own good. We haven't put any additional pressure on him, but a lot of our talk is about what we're about to do, etc. It's quite an exciting household these days. Not much in the way of engaging conversation.

Yesterday, we met a coworker of Shawn's and his wife at an area Chinese restaurant. This was not just an average "Mandarin" restaurant, as is typical for Americanized Chinese food. It was a very authentic Sichwan restaurant in an international neighborhood and was the closest thing we've had to "real" Chinese food since we were in China. When you're the only "white people" in the restaurant, it's a good sign. It means the Chinese community approves of what's being served.

Ian did great, but those reading this who've been to China will know that the restaurants there are complete chaos. This was an almost carbon copy of the restaurants there. It was a bit of sensory overload for him and I think he's rusty on handling that kind of environment. He was well behaved none the less, and we had a great time with great food with a really nice couple. That restaurant made me miss China so much. I didn't want to leave. I was hardly bothered by the family that stood 2 feet from our table and watched us eat until we were done, then took our seats the second we stood up. Just like China.

Ian slept until 10am today and when Shawn went in to wake him up, his bedroom light was on and he was laying with his blanket and his trains in his crib just looking around. I'm amazed constantly at how content he is to spend long periods of time in his own space. Lately, he has been taking long naps at home, ranging anywhere from 3 to 5 hours long. He's still a little congested from his sinus infection, but is basically healthy. I think he might be going through another growth spurt. His teachers are constantly telling me how disruptive he is at naptime at school, and that he doesn't sleep for more than an hour. I just think he wants his own room with his own things...and quiet... for naptime. He lived in organized chaos for the first 20 months of his life. Now he gets his own space and loves it.

Just now, I asked Ian who's his buddy and he said "Daddy Ian's buddy". I asked "Is mommy Ian's buddy?" and he laughed a big belly laugh and said "No! You my mudder!". So goes the life of a mother.



Having fun with his new tricycle


Look Out Orange County Choppers!


Ian helping daddy brush & vice versa

Checking out the goods in the fridge



Stealing off daddy's plate

Getting the hang of chopsticks...but by the way he picks them up, it's obviously in his DNA


Checking out his fortune



Doing his chores: He's responsible for feeding Polli...



...and does a great job!

1 comment:

  1. Such a great little helper he is! Charlotte often wants to help, and sometimes it can be hard for me to let her. I'm such a control freak - ha! And Ian is too cute on his trike!

    I tagged yo on my blog:

    http://emanoff-china.blogspot.com/2009/01/tagged-4th-photo.html

    ReplyDelete