Thursday, October 30, 2008

Remembering China

A year ago today, we were in that limbo where we lost 15 hours in the air plus 12 hours for the time zone change. "The day that never was", I usually call it. We landed in Beijing just a few hours before midnight and we were thoroughly exhausted, but not tired at all…all at the same time. I realized that I didn't take a single picture of our travel experience in the airports, etc. I couldn't imagine NOT capturing every moment now, but I guess the camera freak in me hadn't come out yet. My first actual pictures are the next day in Beijing.


Our guide, Anna, met us at our gate and took us to our waiting car. We were not travelling with a group and had scheduled our own tour guide and hotel for Beijing. She was in her mid-twenties, but looked like about 15, and as cute as a bug. She was a college student studying English and Politics, and in Beijing also studying to pass her guide tests to qualify as a guide for the Olympics. From her description, the testing is brutal and involves memorizing several books word for word.

Once in our room, we immediately hooked up our laptops (yep, we brought two) and worked on trying to get into Blogger and Kodak Gallery. The internet speed was horrible and we instantly understood the pains of so many others that had travelled before us. We were quickly realizing in many ways that we live sheltered lives with many creature comforts back in the good 'ol US of A.

I think we got to sleep at about 3am that first night, knowing Anna would be back for us bright and early only 5 hours later. Another day closer to our son. It seemed like that day would never come, now I hardly remember what it felt like to be "just the two of us".

I have nothing to show of our travel day to Beijing! However, I do have a few cute pictures from yesterday and today, and a quick video of Ian being silly.

I should comment here also that today was Ian's 6 month Speech Therapy goal review meeting. As I mentioned the other day, he scored age appropriate in receptive and expressive speech, and even above normal in a few areas. There are only a few things he needs to work on and nothing major...just little stuff like using question words and possessives (I, me, you, your, etc.). They even broke it to me (gently) that he may not qualify for school aided services when he turns 3 in March. While that would mean he's doing great, I would be a little upset. I really love what therapy has done for him and can't look past the fact that this time last year, he had never heard the English language...and today he is speaking as well as any 2 and a half year old. Even just 6 months ago, he had only about 12 words to his vocabulary!




Getting used to his Halloween costume little by little
Going for a joy ride with dad


Cruising the kitchen

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE his costume, what about Polli's? I hope he has fun tonight, too bad you didn't save the dentist visit until after halloween =). Miss you guys love you all lots and lots!

    -Ashlee

    ReplyDelete