Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Doctors, Dentists, & Speech Pathologists, OH MY!

Ian & the Hearing Test:

I picked Ian up early from daycare yesterday for an Audiology appointment at Children's. It was well into what should have been naptime, but they kept him up for me (yippee) and he was thrilled to see me when I arrived. I told him he was going to the doctor's… to which he replied "Yay!" The teachers all laughed. I told him he'd be changing his mind about that soon enough.

He did survive the ride into Seattle without falling asleep or melting down, mostly because I took the long way and drove us through the long tunnels of the I-90 floating bridge. He loves tunnels, squealing and cheering the whole way through. He was also thrilled to see a taxi in front of us for several miles from the freeway to the hospital, saying "mommy follow taxi!" over and over again. We got stuck in traffic at one point, when he started yelling "Go cars, Go!". I think he learned that from his dad.

We arrived at Children's with almost too much time to spare. They don't have the play area that they used to. I managed to get a few shots of him playing at the same gear wall as his December appointment, but he wasn't all that interested in them and quickly moved on to the books…so we read and walked around for almost an hour…for those who frequent doctor's offices, you know that an hour is a very long time to have a child in a waiting room. A child with no nap at that.

He did very well during his hearing test though, and although I don't have the results to talk technically, they rated the hearing in his "better" ear as normal. She couldn't say enough about how well he was responding to even extremely low tones and frequencies.

He had just about had it with the headphones after testing his better ear and we decided not to do his Microtia ear until his next appointment. The goal is to keep his better hearing ear healthy and just continue confirming that his primary hearing ear is within the normal range. She agreed that he functions in a quiet environment as though he has 2 functioning ears…It's when multiple stimuli come into play that he starts to come unraveled. Unfortunately, they gave him a train to play with during the test and he was not at all happy about needing to give it back. We had a bit of a situation getting back to the car, but once in his seat, I gave him some goldfish crackers and he was happy again. Before I took my first turn out of the parking garage, he was fast asleep.

I did get him the "spicy milk" I had promised him… Essentially, it's a kid's soy chai…a smaller version of my drink. I woke him to go into the grocery store, where he picked out a 4 pack of Hot Wheels (bargain dr. appt gift at $3.99) and happily steered the cart/car for the next 30 minutes while I shopped. Ah, the things that soothe a child.

Ian & the Dentist:

Today I had an appointment to get my teeth cleaned, and Ian had his first appointment scheduled at the same time. I arrived at daycare to pick him up a little earlier than his normal pick up time, but he was sound asleep on his mat. I had to lean down really close to his ear and whisper "Ian, mommy's here" and he woke up with a big smile and said "Mommy, I dreamed!" He wrapped his arms around me and hid his face in my neck as he woke from his nap. It's these things that keep me going on the tough days, and makes me all warm inside.

Shawn met us at the dentist's office and I headed back with my hygienist while Shawn went with Ian. I kind of thought I would be with him the whole time, but it didn't happen that way. I took a few pictures of him, but then left the rest to Shawn. I could hear them talking, but I didn't get to be as involved as I wanted. Essentially, it was what they call a "happy visit", where he just sits in the chair and they let him see the instruments and he talks to Dr. Yang. He is such a soft spoken and gentle man...and he's Chinese, which helps. Ian tends to be curious of Asians, and he was very well behaved for Dr. Yang, even letting him look in his mouth and count his teeth. Dr. Yang said he has all of his baby teeth (yay, no more teething!!!) and they look really healthy. We need to work on Ian spitting out toothpaste and need to get him to allow us to brush more thoroughly in the back. He even wants us to start trying to floss with the floss picks. Other than that seemingly impossible task, he's on track to a life of pearly whites.

Also, huge news just hit my email! Ian had some testing during his last speech therapy appointment, basically books of items that he had it identify...and one book of 3 items on each page and he had to point to the item she asked him to... Well, he scored on target for comprehension AND expression! He is officially a 2 and a half year old in the speech department. Six months ago, at his first therapy session, they scored him at approximately a 15 month level. That means he has closed a year's gap in 6 months. Grandma Trish was right... Ian IS a genius! :-) Shawn wanted to know why he didn't score "above age appropriate". I rolled my eyes and informed him that he isn't even age appropriate, so Ian's already ahead of him in that category!

This time last year, we were stacking our suitcases by the front door in anticipation for our trip the the airport the following day. A year ago! I can't believe how time has flown, yet at the same time, it feels like forever ago. You'll read that same sentiment over and over in the coming 3 weeks!

Ian with his therapist Mona. He loves Mona. Anytime the doorbell rings, he runs for it, yelling "MONA!". He asks all the time if he can go see her.

On our way to the doctor's office. He was so excited that there was a yellow taxi in front of us. I got several pictures of him in various modes of joy.

Playing at the doctor's office...then and now. This shows just how much taller he is and how much more hair he has!

Some people need tranquilizers or nitrous oxide to relax at the dentist. All Ian needs is his blanket. (Note to self: Get him some longer jeans!)

Checking out the giant teeth

Learning the proper way to brush

Getting a proper introduction to the joys of healthy teeth. If only I had been there, we'd have about a hundred more pictures than the measly 5 that my surrogate photographer took for me.

1 comment:

  1. the growth that Ian is making is amazing. the past and present pictures are such an eye-opener. He is such a "little man" now. i look so forward to reading your blog, I even take time sometimes and go back to past blogs and reread them to see how far things have progressed. Jo

    ReplyDelete