Thursday, September 11, 2008

Just Me and My Kids

I have been solo all week with Ian and Polli. Just me and my kiddos. I was surprised and glad that Ian did not show any adverse affects to Shawn's absence this week. He didn't meltdown about me taking him to school and didn't lose it when Shawn wasn't there for night night kisses. I don't know much about a 2-year old's perception of time and if it just seems like yesterday that he saw him, or if the thought just hasn't crossed his mind. Regardless, he has been just great this week. Not a tear, no grumpiness, nothing. Just plain ol Ian.

Several people at his daycare commented to me this week that he is talking twice as much as last week or the week before. It's true. Every time I post that he has had a language surge, he has one that makes the one before it look like nothing. A week ago, he was just starting to put 2 word combos together, but that's almost all he's doing now... often 3 or 4 words with a verb in there for good measure.

For the most part, we've had a blah week from an adventure standpoint. It has been our same weekday routine each day, ending with me reading into the night with Polli snoring by my side. Shawn texted me twice to let me know that the B-52's performed for their company party. I was only a little bitter. Today, I worked from home and spent a good portion of my time cleaning (not sure if that counts as working). I even washed our comforter, cleaned out my old Real Simple magazines, organized all of our gadget chargers, and cleaned out under my bathroom sink. Yeah, I don't think that counted as work.

Today, I decided to surprise Ian and brought Polli along to pick him up from school. It was pajama day today, so I changed out his PJ bottoms with shorts and we headed out for an area off-leash dog park. We have one of the largest off-leash parks in the country 20 minutes from our house and we've only been twice since Ian came home. I should be locked up for that kind of doggie abuse. Polli loves to be off leash and is extremely well behaved when at the park. She normally gets annoyed at the other dogs after about 30 minutes, as if they have no right to be there, but today she was visibly thrilled the entire time. Ian also loved it (he was barely walking the last time he went) and the two of them ran through the fields with smiles on their faces the entire time. Ian was knocked over by a huge Basset Hound, which cooled his jets a little, but otherwise loved his trip to the P-A-R-K. We ended the afternoon with a trip through the Starbucks drive-thru for a shortbread cookie and ice water. We're having the nicest stretch of weather all summer, a pleasant 80 today.

We snuggled and tickled through bath/bed routine and as I left his room, he stood up and leaned over his crib waving "bye bye", then turned to find his "bed toys", not to be heard from again.

Shawn comes home tomorrow afternoon... and being Friday, it's GTD (Grandma Trish Day). If it hadn't been cancelled, I think I could have easily done the second week of Shawn's trip with my eyes closed... which is a good thing, since they probably would have been at the pace I've been keeping. I don't know why I thought it would be so tough to do everything.

Below are just a few of the 200+ pics I took today at the dog park. Also shown is Ian's new Diego backpack, which I am hoping he will roll with ease through the airport. However, without some serious boot camp for it, I think I'll be carrying it. He rolls it for a few seconds and then loses interest. I'm not sure what I was expecting of a 2 year old!

Arriving at the dog park. I underestimated the difficulty of getting them both out of the car in a controlled and safe manner. Polli was quick to show Ian the ropes.


He wasn't sure that he was allowed in the tall grass. I encouraged him the entire time until I saw the "Beware of Bees" signs posted around the fields as we left the park. Oops!

He saw how much Polli loved the tall grass and decided it was OK, too.



He wasn't sure about touching the grass...and there's that ledge to maneuver. Help!

I'm not sure why this didn't scare me at the time, but looking at the picture now, I'm not sure why I trusted this dog so much. He's awfully close to my baby's face! He was laughing hysterically, in case you're worried that's a look of fear.

I'm pretty sure he thinks dogs are just big stuffed animals. He loves their tails, probably because Polli doesn't have one.

Checking out something in the grass. Let's hope it doesn't bite or sting...or stink.

Polli was lying in the grass; Ian was saying "Night Night" here, thinking she was taking a nap.

One happy little girl

One happy little boy

This is the high traffic area: The water dog section, and we definitely don't have one of those... Too much to see all at once, so we moved through here fast.

Just liked this shot. Pure joy (and probably a hornets nest at his feet)

Starting the long walk back to the car

Still walking. Motivated by the promise of John Deere "tractor" fruit snacks waiting in the car.

My kids on the ride home.

Showing off his Diego backpack. He pushes it like a walker, which works for me. Whatever gets him pulling (pushing) his own weight around here!

1 comment:

  1. That looks like an awesome park. Our off-leash park isn't quite so nice.

    ReplyDelete