Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

Happy Father's Day to all the new and not so new dads out there.

A hello and virtual hug to my dad, who celebrates Father's Day with a cool drink by the pool; no doubt lounging on a floatie or lawn chair as my mom yells across the yard to him to come in and listen while she reads this blog post. I want to be sad that we're so far away this year, but it's hard to be upset when I stop to think that this is his first of many Father's Days living his hard earned dream as a retiree in Arizona. You deserve it dad... Just be sure you're wearing your sunglasses.

Happy day also to my Father In Law, who has been like a dad to me for what seems like forever. My ultimate Father's Day gift to him came 13 years ago when I took his highest maintenance son off his hands. You're welcome (I think).

Shawn is the last of his three brothers to become a father and after being together for 13 years as just the two of us and then adding Polli a decade into our marriage, it was a huge sacrifice and adjustment to our lives that Shawn has taken with great stride.

I know Shawn and Ian will always have that father/son bond that I will never share or fully understand. They may not always see eye to eye on everything, but one thing's for sure, they've had an amazing beginning together. I'm so proud that Ian's primary male figure can be Shawn. I cross my fingers that one day they'll share a passion for the good things in life: hockey, water sports, Muppets, and Peter Sellers movies...among other things.

As a special way to say Happy Father's Day to my husband: father to my amazing little boy, I've prepared the clip below. There's music-sung by one of Shawn's greatest idols-and speaks to the bond that he and Ian will hopefully share their entire lives. If you're at work, wait to view until you can watch with the sound...otherwise, turn up your speakers.

Grandmas, get your tissues.


7 comments:

  1. You are so creative. I'm sure Shawn will love it. Happy Fathers Day Shawn. You are very lucky to have Ian and Stephanie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. precious!
    You did an amazing job~

    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful!!!! I can see why he cried...so touching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! One of my all-time fave songs, too. It brings me back to the first day we had Charlotte, as it was on a CD my friend made for us that we played that day. Ian and his Daddy are so cute. What a wonderful gift you made with that video.

    Happy Dad's Day to Shawn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sweet! Happy 1st Father's Day Shawn! We love that song too. Kermit rules!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful video in honor of father and son. Yes, I had to get my tissues. Nana2Livi

    ReplyDelete
  7. The video makes me cry, because I never experience those things with my dad.

    ReplyDelete