Sunday, March 16, 2008

Lazy Sunday

We didn't follow through with any of our plans this weekend. The weather was really crummy, so we didn't venture to the dog park (if Polli sees even one drop of rain fall from the sky, she flat refuses to go outside). We also didn't make it to the gym to try out the pool. It just didn't happen.

Shawn made a plan to be outside ALL DAY yesterday, so Ian and I stayed inside and cleaned. Well, I cleaned. Ian made more messes in my wake. It's OK. He's actually not that messy, and really likes to help "put away". He is always so proud of himself when he knows he picked up after himself. We did drive down the street to get Ian a haircut and then right back home to continue our Saturday chores.

A coworker of Shawn's burned about 20 "old school" vinyl children's records to CD, and they're really great. They range from stories, such as "Little Toot" and "The Little Engine that Could" to musical classics such as "Peter and the Wolf". You can still hear some of the pops and scratches of the needle and they really remind me of my own childhood. He did this free of charge for the coworkers with kids. How do you repay someone for that? He even scanned the cover art and included a table of contents with each CD. Most of our weekend was spent listening to these classics while we cleaned and played.

Today marks 4 months since Ian walked through immigration at Sea Tac airport and became a US Citizen. In many ways, it feels like we've been home a lot longer than that. In other ways, it feels like we were just in China. I have a feeling it will always feel that way to some extent. This morning, Ian slept in until after 9am and when I went to get him, it was FUNKY in his room. He had his first diaper situation requiring that I wash everything in sight...including both of his lovey blankets that have never been washed. I wasn't happy about needing to do that, as they've taken on their own signature smell, but he didn't seem to have a problem with them once they were out of the dryer. Thank goodness. They are part of what makes every night quiet and uneventful.

I made it pretty clear to Shawn that I needed a break today. Except for Monday afternoons, when I go to the gym after work, I have taken ZERO time away from home without Ian with me. ZERO. Shawn gets lots. Lots and lots. So, I got guts and told him (didn't ask) that I would be leaving to go to the mall when Ian went down for nap today. It felt great to be able to go try on clothes, which is hard to do with Ian with me. Typically, if the stroller stops or the Cheerios run out (whichever comes first) he becomes a typical male and wants to go home. Target seems to be the only exception. He really loves that place for some reason.

I came home with some new spring clothes and fixins to make Shepherd's Pie and brownies for a work potluck tomorrow. The rest of our evening was spent remaking the messes we cleaned up yesterday and listening to more classic stories.

This week, I hope to get a chance to get Ian's picture with the Easter Bunny (for the grandmas) and we're hosting a casual Easter gathering at our house on Sunday. The following week, my parents come into town (!!!) and Ian's 2nd birthday is on the 28th. Yippee!

Nothing much to take picures of this weekend... Here are a few random Ian & Polli shots:

Polli is so patient with Ian. She just sits there and lets him poke and prod, although her slicked back ears tell her story. She's praying that someone will rescue her from the crazy toddler!




No blanket to sniff? Polli's back will do! He was actually giving her a kiss. He sees us give her kisses and tries to do it too, but she usually doesn't sit still this long.

He's so happy here. Truly the boy and his bulldog. It chokes me up a little to think what good friends they'll be for each other as Ian gets older.

Who wouldn't sit still for a massage? A little to the left, Ian. Yeah, right there.

He loves this collander. Tonight, he walked around the kitchen for 10 minutes with it on his head.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Shopping without children! I don't get to do it much anymore, however, I've learned that when I do it's not good on the wallet. Beware! Love the colander. Why buy toys????

    ReplyDelete