Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Lawnmowers & Girl Scout Cookies

A coworker gave me a neat little John Deere lawnmower for Ian that couldn't be timed better. Tomorrow is the first day of spring and Ian has been in desperate need of a backyard toy to push around. He was furious when he figured out that this toy would not be allowed in the house. He got over it, but we had a bit of a "fall down on the ground and scream as loud as possible" moment to entertain the neighborhood. I basically left him on the sidewalk to get over himself and he came up the stairs after me reluctantly.

When Shawn came home, he had a few boxes of Girl Scout cookies with him. I thought we were going to make it through the entire GSC season without buying a single box, but Shawn caved in at the last possible second. Unless it's at school and we're unaware, Ian does not get sweets above and beyond juice and fruit. He does have some "toddler cookies", which I'm sure are essentially the same thing as any other cookie, but since they're sold in the baby food section and labeled for toddlers, I look the other way. Lucky for me, Polli gets fed more than Ian actually eats, so it's a win-win for everyone.

Anyway, Ian had his very first Girl Scout Cookie today...Shortbread. No chocolate. I'm a terrible mother, I know. He has his entire life to eat crap. I'd rather he didn't while I still have the energy to have a say in the matter.

Earlier in the day, when I arrived to pick him up from daycare, I could see through the fence that they were outside playing. I decided to keep driving and come back 20 minutes later to give him a chance to play. Yesterday, I had arrived right after he got outside and he was really angry that I was taking him away from his friends and the slide. He just loves outside now. A full 180 from just a few weeks ago. It's really amazing. So, that means I now have to work out the logistics of either showing up before snack and outside time or after he's been outside for a while.
Below are a few pics of Ian with his new lawnmower and with his first Girl Scout Cookie.



Two kinds of lawn mower represented... As you can see, Polli can easily manage her little patch of backyard grass without much help.



He had the technique down pretty quickly



Checking the oil and adjusting the cutting height. Notice the perfect work clothes.

Who doesn't love a Girl Scout Cookie? I didn't notice that he was covered in yogurt until after it was too late. Oh well.


Imagine how thrilled he would have been if this were a Thin Mint?!

2 comments:

  1. We haven't given Micah a Girl Scout cookie yet. We've resorted to sneaking them behind his back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just dropped by through RQ...
    Your son is adorable!

    ReplyDelete