Saturday, March 1, 2008

Ian's First Boo Boo

When I picked Ian up from school on Thursday, he was outside playing with his classmates. I went outside and caught his eye from about 10 yards away. Excited, he started toward me, with that adorable Jack Sparrow walk that has evolved from the mummy trance of last month. Unexpectedly, another little boy ran between us, throwing him off balance and he did a full face dive onto the concrete play surface. (Yeah, I thought the same thing... concrete for a toddler play surface? I thought they had done away with that in the 70's...I seem to remember the chewed up tire revolution starting when I was in grade school.).

Anyway, I ran for him at the same time as one of the teachers and he was already at a full scream, like I've never heard, before either of us made it to him. He had a nice cut in his lower lip, a skinned chin, and gravel/dirt covering most of his face. Big tears were already coming down and this "how did you let this happen to me?" look on his face. After all, it was my fault he fell, right?

We wiped down his face and got most of the blood off his lip and chin. He was still pretty hysterical, but settled down quickly and we left. I wanted to get him home to clean off his face more. It was clear that he didn't need medical attention, just some hugs and kisses...and maybe an extra cheese stick (Ian's favorite after school treat) when we arrived home.

His lip stopped bleeding and was a non issue pretty quickly, but his chin was pretty banged up. He was crabby for the next couple of hours and was pretty wiped out from the trauma of it all. His first boo-boo.

It was very hard to get good pictures of it. My camera has trouble with very close shots of moving objects. Below are a couple of pictures of his battle scar...and a few other pictures from the past couple of days.

Low key weekend on tap... and Ian has his first Early Intervention evaluation on Tuesday. They will assess if he has significant enough delays in different areas of development, to warrant free state assistance with therapy. Because of his unilateral hearing loss, he will qualify for speech therapy until at least 3, but I'm curious to see what they'll find with other areas: motor, social/emotional, etc. Finally, we're getting the chance to take advantage of something our tax dollars are already paying for! I've heard from several families about how Early Intervention was nothing short of life changing, and I'm hoping that, as a first time mom, they will be able to point out things I don't know to look for, or give reassurances on others that are not as panic worthy.



I know it doesn't look like much, but it was pretty traumatic (for both of us). He's a boy. I know this won't be his last boo boo.


Another view of the wound. Thank goodness it happened after school picture day!



I'm pretty sure it's letting him do things like this that cause boo boo's! Run to get him down? NO! Get the camera!
...And then have a good laugh about how dangerous that was.

Not boo boo related... Ian waiting at the back door for Polli to be done with her business. He can almost reach the door handle. That will be a fun stage.

I don't know if he is trying to make her sit or if he wants a ride. Either way, he thought he was doing something funny.

Another "just because it's cute" picture. He was starting to get tired/serious.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry to see Ian with a boo boo. Thank goodness it didn't require a visit to the doc. Those(I am sorry to say) WILL come. The pics are great as usual. How come little ones think it is fun to do something dangerous like standing on the edge of that bench? If he only knew another skinned chin or something was close at hand.

    ReplyDelete