Thursday, February 28, 2008

Ian's Last Month as a Baby

Today marks 23 months for Ian. A month from today, he will no longer be a baby, but a full fledged toddler!

It makes me wonder what he will look like and what he will be doing a year from now, when we're coming up on the big 0-3. What about 5 years from now when he's catching his first yellow bus to school...or 2022, when he's getting his driver's license? I guess for now, I'll stick with planning his 2nd birthday and getting ready for his next milestones... talking and running, which are both probably right around the corner.

This week Ian had school pictures, which I am anxious to see, and also received several neat books as a gift from a coworker of mine. His favorite was a book about trucks that has wheels on the front and back covers, so when the book is closed he can push it like a toy truck. It is almost all he has wanted to play with for the past 2 days. Another book has silly eyes and is ironically the very book he looked at with awe in the kids' area at Starbucks on Saturday.

Today, I arrived at daycare for him just as they were getting ready to go outside to play. He was VERY upset that we weren't going out with the other kids. This is the same boy that was petrified of outside just a week ago!

I am sad to report that the swimming lessons I had hoped he could start this Sunday will need to wait. The only weekend class for his age group is full, but there are plenty of openings in the infinite number of weekday morning classes. I know it's crazy, but not every mother in our area is a stay at home mom, so Ian's on the waiting list for May. I get very frustrated at the fact that almost all classes or play groups happen on weekday mornings around here. Yes, Ian is essentially in an all day play group and does tons of fun things, but I would love to participate too, without feeling like I'm choosing between a career and my child. I'm sure in time I'll find a happy medium, but for now, I'm just irritated. Sorry for the rant.

Below are a few pictures from this week. Ian in his school picture outfit, what happens when I'm not home for dinner, and Ian's sudden interest in books...one step closer to fulfilling my hopes of having a child who is a reader (even if, for now, he just wants to hold them).

P.S. Happy Anniversary to Shawn and me...we celebrated our 12th Wedding Anniversary yesterday with no hoopla. By 6pm, Ian was in bed and we were on separate couches watching different TV shows... Ah romance!



Ready for school pictures. I was scared to death to put him in this outfit for daycare, but in the end, they changed the kids right after taking pictures, so it remained wearable for another day.



Chatting it up with Polli before school.



I went to they gym right after work Monday and missed dinner. This is probably a good example of why I don't take "alone time" often.



Ian's first pop up book. He promptly ripped the barn door off right after I took this picture.



A few chapters after breakfast is a great way to start the day.


He is in love with his truck book with tires....it's as though the idea was dreamed up just for him.


Dinosaur book with oogley eyes. He saw this same book at Starbucks and liked it. What an amazing coincidence.



He liked putting ham chunks on the wheel and spinning it for a while, eating it, and doing it again with the next piece. Crazy kid!

1 comment:

  1. He's a trip with the ham!
    Daniel did the same "rip off the pop up" trick with our newest library book. Gotta get the tape out and get to work befre it's due back.

    ReplyDelete