Monday, June 11, 2007

This Boy's Got Gear

Ian has no idea we exist at this point, yet he already has the swag of most little boys his age.

We decided to hold off on ordering his crib for a couple of weeks while Shawn warms up to the idea of how much kids cost. In the meantime, we're buying some of the smaller items that we'll need before travel. This past weekend, after much research, I decided $400 for crib bedding is ridiculous, and bought a set I really liked from Pottery Barn Kids.

Although I don't remember my baby bedding and I personally think it's ridiculous to spend so much money on something that is bound to meet it's first diaper blowout within days of use, I also feel like this is my first and possibly only child, so I don't really want to buy something that is cheap and tacky either.

I wanted something that isn't too cutesy or babyish and since the crib we plan on buying will transition to a toddler bed, I wanted something that would also transition well to a big boy theme.

If all that weren't enough, we also wanted to avoid sensory overload when he gets home, so we decided to go with something in muted colors and images.

Keeping these things in mind, I found the "Vintage Planes" set at Pottery Barn Kids and bought several pieces. They have a 1 year return policy and since we might not even need the bumper (if he's strong enough to use it as a step to hoist himself out of his crib) we'll be able to take it back if we decide we don't really need it.

I was so impressed with their customer service in the store that I decided to register for the few items they carry that won't send my friends and family into bankruptcy.

I also included a picture of Ian's clothing collection so far. It's hard to tell in the picture, but he has 42 items hanging (many non hanging items still in bags). Of the items hanging, they inventory as follows:

2 Jackets
7 PJ's
7 Rompers
4 Overalls
5 Polo Shirts
2 Button Down Shirts
1 Tank Top (on clearance...it was really cute. Although it'll probably be in the 50's if not colder when he arrives home. Yikes)
7 Tee Shirts
3 Shorts (See the note about 50's)
4 Pants


Everything except for 2 items were at Outlet or Clearance prices and since we really have no idea how big he'll be when we travel to him, I was rolling the dice every time I handed over the debit card. When I saw his most recent picture, I could feel the panic hit. Many of those items are size 12 months (assuming he would be they typical skinny butt Chinese boy that I see in so many blogs). Heck no, this boy is going to be big by all accounts so far. Stay tuned for a link to my NWT (new with tags) section on Ebay in a couple of months.

Please note that there is no fancy presentation to the pictures above. My laptop died and is in the shop (for 3 weeks!!!!) and all of my software and digital scrap stuff is saved there. I may die from withdrawls. By the way, I would like to use this public forum to tell the world never to buy a computer at Best Buy. Their customer service is awful and their "Geek Squad" knows less than I do about computers. They are sending my laptop to California to do what equals about 30 minutes of work for work that most kids are coming out of high school knowing. So, Best Buy doesn't stand behind the products they sell. Pass it on.

And if you get the chance, check out the Pottery Barn Kids store or their catalog. Their customer service doesn't stink and a good majority of their products are worth the money in my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. I love the look of a closet full of new clothes.The words sale and clearance makes it even better.I have raised the girl right. Yes, I am Ians grama Pat.Between his mom, me and Macys many sales, this little guy will go for not.Can't wait for him to get here.

    ReplyDelete