Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Anniversary of Ian’s First Day of School

Today marks ONE YEAR since Ian started school. This time last year, I was sitting in the Starbucks down the street from his daycare wringing my hands for three hours before going back to pick him up. I was nervous about how he reacted when I left. I was sad that I couldn't somehow stay and watch without him knowing. I felt guilty for putting him in another scary unknown situation so soon after the traumatic process of coming home. More than anything, I was torn. Torn between my desire to go back to work and my wish to stay home with him. I always said I would go back, but in theory, I haven't met a single mom who doesn't wish they could be with their kids more, especially in those first few years.


So, when I went back for him on that first day after 3 hours, he was sitting happily at the table eating lunch. Spoon. Plate. Chair. I couldn't believe it. By the end of that week, he was head first into a routine and he didn't show a single sign of distress from the separation. I can't lie. That was hard. Something in me wanted him to struggle with the transition more, eventhough I know that would have been worse.

Now, a year later, he is a bona fide school kid. Monday through Thursday, he gets up at 5:30, goes to school from 6:30-3:30, and goes to sleep at about 7. Although we decided early on that the daycare he's in is not our choice for nutrition and curriculum reasons, he has flourished in the past year. Flourished in ways I never imagined possible. I won't give his center too much credit since it's more or less an expensive babysitting service there. Much of his progress is based on the success of speech therapy, his "down day" with Grandma Trish on Fridays, and our "every waking minute" attitude toward learning.

I read back over my post a year ago and can't believe how far he has come. He was a brand new walker, was afraid of outside, and had zero vocabulary past "dah" and the occasional "mama". He was barely eating with utensils and had never (at least since home) eaten out of his highchair. Now, he talks like any other almost-three year old, is completely fearless, and is BUSY. Just how many laps around the living room and kitchen can one kid do?

Here we are passing year one and getting ready to start a new daycare, or "Early Learning Center" as they prefer to be called. We're hoping to come up on the waiting list in the next month, making a transition to their Preschool class in March. I will have to go through that above hand wringing process again as we move him to yet another strange new place. All you parents out there who've had to move for jobs, military, etc… My heart goes out to you. I don't know how you do it!

We are also adding in the use of a keyboard and mouse with an old laptop of mine. There is some great toddler software out there that teaches the general key clicking and cursor moving skills, and he seems to love it. It's incredibly annoying to us adults, but quite engaging for him. As silly as that might seem to some, I think all the time about how important these skills will be by the time he is an adult. Chances are, he'll need to have a keyboard mastered and be capable of handling electronics by the 1st grade, if not earlier.

I also posted a few pictures of Ian at the park yesterday. LESS than a year ago, he actually figured out that outside was not the enemy. Watching him climb, jump, run, and slide with ease yesterday made me realize just how much he has accomplished this year. He amazes me on a daily basis! As we speak, I'm probably taking for granted something that will blow my mind a year from now!

So, I think it's evident that I've done away with such luxuries as hair combing or even pants in some cases, but it's easy to see much has changed in a year. He's definitely not the baby he was then. Why does it have to go so fast?

Learning his new computer software

Already mastering the mouse

Playing at the park. This time last year he was still unsure about the park...and would have never been able to manage the stairs alone.

Pretending to drive "the bus". Everything is either a train or a bus with this kid!

3 comments:

  1. His glasses are just too cute for words. Wow - one year already? Time has flown. I remember it, though - it was stressful for you. Charlotte started daycare about a year and two weeks ago. She has loved it since day 1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, I love this post. The decision between work and raising baby is such a difficult one. And why is it only one a mom has to make? Anyway, I'm in your shoes right now and totally know how you felt. Ian's growth is amazing. You don't give yourself enough credit! What a great mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He has changed so much. What a gorgeous happy boy you have.

    ReplyDelete