Monday, October 6, 2008

Beware... Bodily Function Talk Ahead

This just in... Ian put pee pee in the potty. Yes, that's right. Pee pee in the potty. In 15 years, we'll be recapping his blog...the chronicle of his first months and years with us, and on October 6th, 2008, we'll come across this post. The post for all the world to see about Ian's first potty-time. Don't you just love how moms have know just how to share way too much information?

He has been asking to sit on the potty for a while now, so I went and bought him a Baby Bjorn potty seat (he's still scared to actually sit on the big seat). It only took a few tries and about 100 rounds of our made up song "pee pee come out! poo poo come out!". I think he was as surprised to see something made it in the cup...I jumped around like a maniac and he just sat there stunned. He hasn't done anything since, but is willing to try and knows as soon as it happens, he gets a pack of "Tractor snacks". It actually happened on Saturday, the day we went to Babies R Us for the big shopping trip. We also got a pack of pull ups, which are really just diapers that he can pull down on his own (good thing? I don't know yet). I also bought a pack of training pants which I'm too chicken to try just yet. I bought a pack when we went to China and gave them to the orphanage director when we realized how "young" Ian really was. How ironic that almost exactly a year later, I'd be buying them again. Same size, same brand, same design...everything. Talk about deja vu.

We did hit a road block yesterday when he started getting tired and didn't want to make a deposit in order to receive his tractor snacks. I caved in and we shared some over reading his new favorite choo-choo book. He'd tried about 10 times and was up really late, so I think he earned it.

I only wish I could figure out how to potty train as a full time working parent with multiple caretakers to train at the same time. I still have to figure out how his daycare keeps everything we're doing consistent, how to get Shawn on board, and setting a "try" schedule for Trish on Fridays. I also need to get the guts to put him in training pants and go out in public... or cave in and use the pull up crutch. I love that I can get the pull ups off easier than diapers and might just switch to them for daytime until he's really ready. They also have Diego on the front, which he likes.

Maybe he'll get it. Maybe he won't. Maybe he's too young. Maybe he's not. I've decided to take it slow and recruit Elmo... I've reserved a copy of "Elmo's Pottytime" DVD at the library. There are only 42 reserves ahead of me, so I might just get it before he decides to pottytrain himself. We'll see.

How sad that it's an afterthought to mention that Grandpa Tom spent the night on Friday! Shawn and Tom went fishing Saturday AM and it made sense for him to stay over. On Saturday, Ian kept pointing to his bed in our extra room saying "Grandpa Thomas bed". Thanks to Thomas the Train mania, which we've recently stumbled head first into. Darn it if I didn't say I refused to let that happen. Yeah right!

So, Ian got some great quality time with Grandpa Tom and another awesome Friday with Grandma Trish.

Tomorrow, there's an open house at Ian's school, which may or may not be exciting, and that's about it for the week. Our weather has turned cold and stormy really fast. The joke is that we skipped October and went from a sunny September to a cold and windy November. Yuck. Time to find Ian a slicker and boots or we'll have another 6 months indoors. I hardly remember the "afraid of outside" Ian. Seems like a million years ago.

Congrats to my LID buddy Violet and her hubby as they met their son Jake yesterday in China. If only I could begin to explain what a difference a year makes!


Walking in the rain with silly Grandpa Tom

Sorry... I decided not to post pics of Ian on the potty... Grandma's check your email!

Ian and Polli having a good moment. He started saying her name while we were in Arizona after months of just "dog".

2 comments:

  1. Oh, the joy of potty training! Can you sense the sarcasm in my statement??? I dislike potty training more than food shopping. And that's really not a good thing. I think...I'll say it again, I THINK, Daniel has finally got it. We've been working on it for about 6 months and he was suppose to be trained in China. Boys are very differnt from girls. They don't care too much about sitting in wet pants. They just don't have the time to stop and use the potty. My suggestion. Keep the pull ups for now. Your carpet will thank you. Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on pee pee in the potty. I completely understand the joy that that phrase brings. Best of luck for more of the same.

    ReplyDelete