Sunday, March 30, 2008

Ian's Big Shin-Dig

Today was Ian's welcome home and birthday parties all rolled into one, hosted by the one and only person who could make Martha Stewart look disorganized, his Grandma Trish.

Trish deserves her own stage a bit to be appreciated for how much she gives without asking for anything in return. Being a Grandma is truly her calling and if there were a Nobel Prize for it, she would be a repeat winner.

So, she threw a wonderful party for Ian with nothing forgotten, and many of our favorite family and friends were in attendance. Ian was a dream all day, and at one point I saw him stroll past the crowd I was in, and I thought "oh yeah, Ian... I almost forgot he was here". He just did wonderful in such a crowded and loud group. It helped a lot that it was a familiar place with many familiar faces.

My parents flew into town from Arizona; my brother Rex drove down from the city; Shawn's cousin Troy, his wife Shannon, and their son Alex came; Troy's mom and dad Pat & Tim (Grandpa Tom's sister and brother in law/Ian's great aunt & uncle); Shawn's oldest brother Mark, wife Shannon, and kids Alec & Ashleigh, Shannon's adorable brother Rick and mom Nancy; our good family friends Tim & Cassie, their beautiful daughters Aiden and Marlee, and Cassie's mom Nancy; Dave and Kathy, otherwise known as "The Wonderfuls"; Mary & Jamie with their cutie pie curly head carrot top grandson, Kent; our good friends Chuck & Lu with their sweet nieces, Margaret and Nicki. I really hope I'm not accidentally forgetting anyone. If so, I'll figure it out and add them later. Never the less, it was an amazing group. We plan to do this again this summer at our house for the benefit of many of our friends and coworkers, but for our family and friends in the "south end", it was an amazing turn out.

Even without much of a nap and not a lot to eat other than milk, cheese, and cake, Ian was more mature and easy to handle than any two year old I've ever met...and I don't just say that because he's my son. Just about everyone agreed. I'm not crazy, my kid is just naturally amazing!

He wasn't interested in getting his hands in birthday cake, but he quickly warmed up to the taste of the frosting. Since he's not used to sweets, I think it was an odd taste at first, but soon he was taking bigger and bigger bite fulls.

He got a ton of great gifts and several really nice donations to various charities (one to Ian's orphanage...thanks, big bro!), and several items that will make wonderful donations to Ian's orphanage. . The entire time we were opening gifts and cards, Ian was playing with a toy Barbie bicycle and couldn't care less about opening gifts. He did get in the action a bit when a loud fire engine entered the picture...and then again when a "band in a box" was opened. Noise is so much fun.

He was out like a light within 15 minutes of leaving the house and barely woke for his PJ change when we arrived home. Sweet dreams, Ian. Welcome to the big boy club, son!

A special thank you to my parents, Ian's Grama & Paga, for making the long trip up from Phoenix. I don't know anyone else in the world who would have gone from 80 degrees to 30 for a two year old's birthday party. Mom and dad, you have no idea what this weekend meant to us. We miss not having you near and can't wait to see you again.

Here are just a few of the 130 pictures I took today (doesn't count the 40 or so that I deleted).


Nothing to do with Ian's big day, but thought I'd show you all what a day in "almost April" doesn't normally look like in Seattle.



Ian helps Shawn disconnect the MANY ridiculous ties that anchor down every toy in existence. You parents know what I'm talking about. I sure wish I could buy stock in that company! (Yes, Shawn's wearing shorts here...he looks a little naked.)


What a happy 2 year old looks like... our cheerful days might just be numbered until the "terrible twos" kicks in...although I think he'll be a delightful angel forever.

Multi tasking with the sound/light/learning toys. "A" says "A & AH"... Did you know that?

Chit chat with Paga..."So what do you think the Mariners chances are this season? Diamondback fans now? Well, good thing you're family!"

Chit chat with Uncle Rex... "So what do you think about that Jeff Brown trade? I know Grama & Paga are Cardinals fans now. Can you believe it?"



Ian meets his goofy aunt Pat. Yep, another family member with a silly southern accent.

Uncle Ricky helps Ian "raise the roof"

More people to entertain. A two year old's job is never done!

Everyone remembers their first red party cup!

Happy Birthday to Ian! (For the skeptics who think I'm a myth since I never appear in pictures, here's proof that I really do exist!)

Mmm. This cake stuff is OK!

He enjoyed this fire truck (and the random barbie bicycle he found in a box somewhere).

He enjoyed his box of instruments. I can't remember what this one is called, but it had a cool texture and sound.

One man show in an all girl band

Let's see, Spirit is technically Ian & Polli's Aunt. Ian loves dogs and was so excited to see her.

Sleepytown came quickly. Happy birthday my son. We're so glad your 2nd birthday was spent here with us and everyone who loves you so much...and not in an orphanage.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,
    I have a friend who is chinese and I was sharing your blog with her. She told me something I thought you would find interesting. Ian's name in chinese means "Twin" Xiang Xuan. Both names together.
    Really enjoyed the pictures and the captions of his big shindig. Aunt Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is a delight to read, and your pictures are great. Ian is the most adorable little boy!! His love for things with wheels is so cute. Have fun, and you may find those terrible twos are not too terrible at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday big boy - and what a cute vest you have! How wonderful to get some donations in honor of his birthday, too. He's too sweet - I love the sleeping pic!

    ReplyDelete