Sunday, December 2, 2007

Ian's First Snow

Ian got his first taste (and feel) of snow today! We went to sleep last night with about 4 inches on the ground and whiteout conditions, so we knew it would be a fun morning to introduce Ian to his first snow in a big way. We usually get a few dustings in Seattle and that's it, but we live closer to the mountains and tend to get more than those living by the water. There were 9 inches when we measured it this morning and it had already been raining for a while. Chances are, there was 10 or 11 inches before the rain started this morning.


I had luckily thought to buy Ian some snow pants at Old Navy on Friday and it couldn't have been a more timely purchase. Although he was snug as a bug, he did not like the snow at all. We couldn't get his mittens on, so it probably had everything to do with his cold hands. We were only out for a few minutes.

He does like Shawn's garage though, so we hung out there while I put together his "all terrain" stroller. The ALL in all terrain isn't literal, apparently. It didn't make it 10 feet down the sidewalk before I was turning around. I had visions of strolling through The Ridge with hot coffee and a pastry as most residents do on days like this... Not so this morning. No one was out and we've been housebound all day. It did give me a chance to work on my Christmas cards and announcements while Ian napped, so all was not lost.

He has also found a fun new place to play: Our bookcase. He spent the better part of an hour storing toys in one of the cubbies and then crawling in and throwing them out.

We're now gathering our candles and flashlights for a possible power outage. We get them frequently in the winter, so it's no surprise. We've had flickers all day. I love how they only happen when it's 30 degrees outside. Last year we were out for a week. I never thought about what we would do in that event now that we have someone who can't just brave the dark and cold. Thankfully, we still have a set of parents local. They make great Inn Keepers! Ian and I are looking VERY forward to sunny Arizona when we fly down in a week to visit my parents.


Not sure about this snow business...
...but he looked good!

Dad can turn anything into a game

Chillin in the Man Lounge

Ian playing in the bookcase...he's not sleeping. Just concentrating.

4 comments:

  1. Very cute. What a great game, swing around in the snow suit.

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sweetie. I have read the last few weeks of your posting, and...well...you sound just a tad bitter. Are you okay? I am guessing it is just becoming a mom. Heck, it's very stressful. I just hope you're okay. Even while in China all you do is complain. Albeit, I know it's just one blip of what your feeling at the moment, I just wanted to make sure you have no regrets.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lord, another anonymous person claiming I'm bitter. I reread my last few posts and all I read is my joy over my son and our great experiences together. I suppose I'll be long regretting that post where I expressed my feelings about those first tough days home. Cheryl, I'm not sure what you found bitter. I'm not sure what you think I'm supposed to blog about, and more than anything else, I wonder what you would do/say in my shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephani,
    I can't imagine where people get their ideas. I have not found one thing that shows bitterness. If being honest, is misunderstood as bitterness that is not your fault. Don't worry about it. It is such a honor to be able to read your blog and share it with friends and family and tell them this is your cousin and my niece and my GREAT nephew. Tell your mom I said "Hi" when you see her. Your Aunt, Jo

    ReplyDelete