Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Update On Our Progress...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I wanted to give a quick hello and update on our progress in transitioning Ian to his new world.

I took some heat the other day for my sattire on how different things are now than before we went to China, but truly, it's just my sarcastic side coming across. My apologies to those who took offense to my outlook on the overwhelming week so far.

Each day has been a little better. Ian still doesn't want to be put down, and I haven't decided whether or not to invest in another expensive carrier, not knowing if it will work out or if the day it arrives will be the magical day Ian wants his independence.

Shawn and I are holding him almost all the time, but in the real world there are times when it isn't possible (I need to put my coat on, take something out of the oven, etc.). We bought a highchair so he can be up off the floor and still see me while I'm in the kitchen, but he doesn't like it much unless a spoon is coming at him. We're tweaking things bit by bit, so I'm not sure how that will transpire.

In big big big news, Ian slept through the night last night with no terrors, and looks to be on track for another stellar night tonight. We also had almost ZERO tears today, and he even played on the floor today WITH the dog. He only gets cranky when she goes for his ears (the ear wax must smell good to her), which would upset anyone. It was just a great day and it shows with everyone in our household. We're all almost over the jet lag, Ian is back on a normal sleeping/eating schedule, and things are looking up. Again, one day at a time.

He even climbed off my lap at one point and crawled over to a toy, which is a big deal. At almost 20 months, he doesn't do much crawling, and doesn't walk, so any use of his legs is a happy moment for us.

Tomorrow is Ian's big day to meet his Grandpa Tom and Grandma Trish (Shawn's parents). They will be the first to meet him since coming home and is probably good timing. Any earlier might have confused some of the other issues we've had, but we're so excited to have them over. Hopefully in a few weeks we'll be at a reasonable place so I can take him to Arizona to meet my parents.

Below are a few pics from the last few days:

Yesterday: Almost ready to be friends.

One Minute Later. This is the look that preceeds disaster. Polli's not quite sure what she did.


First trip out and about since coming home. He really likes being in the carseat.


Today. He climbed off my lap and toward Polli and a toy. I about died...Luckily my camera was nearby.

Polli is our dirty diaper detector.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving!!
    So glad to hear you are feeling better. What adorable pix of Ian and Polli. It won't be long before they are inseperatable. One day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thankgiving! First, I would like to say how beautiful your son is! What a cutie! I have two girls from China, ages 5 and 19 months. The little one, adopted in May, would also like to be held all the time. She is only 21 pounds so I can only imagine what you are going through. I realize that many adoptive parents feel that holding your child all the time is the best for them, but realistically some of us aren't up for the task, especially if you are used to being busy. My advice is to get support and make time for yourself. Have your parents, inlaws, friends or hubby watch the baby while you get out once in a while.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete