Monday, November 19, 2007

Give My Regards To...

To my dog. Like Ian, you can't tell me how this is affecting you or why you feel it necessary to push his door open and jump up at his crib to wake him when it would have been just as easy to let him sleep while we peacefully made breakfast and took care of a little business before resorting to such measures. If you could now try not jumping on him while we're practicing walking on the patio, I would appreciate it.

To those with the ability to shower and dress at leisure. Less than 2 weeks ago, I also unknowingly indulged in such things. Today, I walked in proximity of a mirror and called it a big accomplishment.

To the one armed people in the world. I never knew of your obstacles until now. I am right handed, yet due to an old injury need to carry Ian with my right arm....pretty much all the time. He has not yet found comfort in our deluxe weight berber carpet and padding, rather it is panic inducing. It could partially be the 35 pound beast lumbering toward him for some of the leftovers on his face. Today, I did things with one arm that I never thought possible. Many were not particularly safe. I'll leave it at that.

To the makers of Recaro car seats. Yes, the "how to adjust chest straps" section in a small buried section in the back of the manual, but once I figured it out, Ian liked it and slept most of his stay in it. Could I drive around all day? Gas prices say "no". My sanity says "For the love of all that is holy, yes!"

To the engineers of Bellevue Square Mall. You must be childless, because you managed to place the one and only elevator to service the entire parking garage in a far corner and a mile away from my usual parking spots... If I had only realized this BEFORE parking, unfolding the stroller, getting Ian out of his comfy car seat an into said stroller, figuring out two of the straps and deciding to ignore another that made no sense at all, getting across to the entrance... before a flight of stairs came into view. Fabulous. Thank you childless structural engineer. Thanks a lot.

To the same engineers mentioned above. Again your sense of humor or cluelessness superseeds you. I would also like to thank you for thoughtfully planning for no fewer than a dozen conveniently placed escalators in the million-plus square foot mall...and again, one elevator. How hard could it be to make escalator steps 3 feet wide rather than 1 and placing ramps where you decided only steps would do?

To the cute mom in front of me with perfectly styled hair. I'm so glad that you had the time this morning to shower (and probably leisurely shave your legs), style your hair perfectly, then pick out a coordinated outfit including your $200 jeans and Coach handbag. I'm not even sure my socks match and I think need deodorant. I don't really care at this point.

To the makers of the 2001 Peg Pegero stroller. Would it have killed you to install a cup holder? I know for a fact that lattes existed way back then. Just because I bought it used on Craigslist doesn't mean I can't afford a much needed coffee during my child's content moments in his stroller.

To the kid who asked "Would you like help out with your groceries?". Two weeks ago, "no thank you" would have been more of a involuntary reflex, but today you are a God to me.

And finally...

To my husband. You have been a bigger help than you know. Eventhough my dad said "Tell him he'd better step up and help or his name's mud", you've been amazing. Without a second thought, setting down your keys and taking Ian mid tantrum...and letting me relax; which in this case means unloading the groceries that had been in my car for 3 hours, starting laundry, unloading the dishwasher, making dinner, sorting 3 weeks worth of junk mail, and returning a couple of emails, and finally taking a shower. No massage or facial could have felt better.

I fished out my camera, but now need to find the docking cable. I have a few pics, but not much. My China retrospect and packing lists will have to wait a few more days.

For those wondering, Ian slept almost all the way through the night last night with only one 20 minute incident. He then slept until 8am, when as you know the dog decided she wanted to say good morning. It was a rough day of tantrums, but better than the day before thanks to some outings, which Ian seems to really like. I'm hoping I'll be feeling a little better by tomorrow and Ian will be that much closer to getting over his jet lag. Now if he could just let me set him down for even a second, I would feel a lot better.

One day at a time.

15 comments:

  1. Steph- Welcome to my life!! Last week on Wednesday, to be specific, I wondered why my hair just wasn't obeying. It was standing up and out and I was completely puzzled, because I just washed it the day before on Tuesday. Oh...NO yesterday was Wednesday...Its been 2 or has it been 3 days since a shower. I've lost count!!!

    Kids don't notice bad hair days. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great commentary on becoming a mom! I remember a few days after my first baby, I attempted an errand. I set her (in her car seat) down on the driveway to load up a few things, then pulled away. I was a few blocks away before I realized I had left her on the driveway! Never underestimate the affects of sleep deprivation...
    Lana

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will get easier - just hang in there! I eventually put my son in the bathroom with some toys while I showered. It may mean a longer shower than usual because of checking on him a lot, but it worked well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie, I know your pain. I came home with Ethan from Wenzhou in April of this year. He had been carried by the nannies ALL THE TIME and was not used to not getting his way. Ethan is big (34 pounds), like your guy. When we got home and the anger got worse, I broke down and bought an Ergo. I then practiced getting Ethan in it myself while DH was home so that I could use it while DH was at work. I am not exaggerating, Ethan spent the whole summer in the carrier. I could carry him for up to three hours and I am not a big person at all. It's been seven months and Ethan only needs the carrier a couple of times per week now. Please contact me if you want to talk. You can find me on the Wenzhou yahoo group. Good luck to you and your beautiful son.
    Katy Ruhoff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a perspective on parenting. You hit every issue a mom faces.LOL. You will get the hang of it and figure out how to shower either with him (helps with bonding) or with him playing safely in the floor near you. Little People pieces help.

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steph,

    Welcome Back! I received your message and have put in a request for supplies to be air dropped at approximately 1300 Friday.

    Looking forward to seeing you two next week.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steph.
    Just wanted to say "Welcome Home"! I think you're doing great considering you've only been home less than a week. I'm sure each day will get better and better. Looking forward to following Ian's & Polli's adventures.
    Dawn Collins

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, your post brings back memories of when we first returned home with our daughter. I agree with Katy; the Ergo was a lifesaver. Our daughter didn't want to be put down at all, and my arms/shoulders were about to fall off when Ergo became a permanent part of my wardrobe. And for showers, I put my daughter in the Baby Einstein Stationary Entertainer in the bathroom while I enjoyed a few moments of hygiene!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steph - oh how I'm having flashbacks of being the one armed mom....Like Katy - I highly recommend the Ergo. You won't be permantly attached forever, but it sure helps to get thru these first few weeks. I've had many friends saved by the carriers! I'll pray that Ian doesn't share the same aversion to it that Anna did...enough said there. Everything else sounds SO familiar. Keep up that awesome attitude. It does get easier and you do get long showers again...eventually :-). Kristal

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was really enjoying your journey to get gorgeous little Ian...as a still waiting parent it is a bit hard to take that all you can do is complain now that you have him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. To the last anonymous that left a comment, I'm glad you enjoyed our blog as we received Ian and am also sorry that you see my current posts as complaining. Please understand that I have been sick, have been back on US soil for just 4 days, and am faced with some challenges that, although normal, are often not talked about on blogs. I promise my tone will change as we all adjust, but this is a place where I can realistically discuss what I'm going through not only to help my own sanity, but also to share with other families who might also feel a little overwhelmed when coming home. As you can also see, I've gotten a lot of great support and advice, so negative or not, I think it was well worth taking the risk of being honest.

    I hope you keep reading and you'll find that I'm a very optimistic person with a lot of good to share to go with the bad. But what I won't do is sugar coat my experiences, otherwise this is all just a big waste of time.

    Thanks for sharing your opinion,

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, an anonymous drive-by! Steph, you should be proud your blog gets enough traffic to see such behavior.

    You amaze me, taking on a mall after only four days home. Having done the trip twice I know how hard it is to get back to feeling normal, and really, you will never get "back there" because your life is forever changed now.

    But your "one day at a time" comment is exactly right. And there will come a point when you look back and wonder where all these days went.

    Great blog. Enjoying your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been reading your blog for a while now and, in response to that previous comment, I don't think you are complaining at all. You are stating the facts about what it's like to finally get your child. It's wonderful after such a long wait to bring your child home, but it's also a huge adjustment - not just for the child, but for the parents, as well - especially when you've never had kids before. I laughed out loud when I read your last post because I totally related to it and I have to admit that we often wondered those first few days about what we had gotten ourselves (and our child) into! It takes time but eventually you get a routine going and things get a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, that "anonymous" poster? Don't delete it. I got almost the same post on my blog once, it could have been from the same person! I deleted it and now, I wish I had kept it. I wish I would have featured it on a post all by itself. There is nothing...NOTHING more encouraging to new parents that are walking your same road, than hearing/reading from others that the road is sometimes hard, rocky, frustrating, painful and can sometimes break a lesser person. I look at your feelings and I breathe a sigh of relief for MYSELF that no! I was NOT going crazy. Other people have felt the same way I did. There is a mommy to be who is reading this blog and thinking, "I'll NEVER feel this way! I'll always be so happy and joyful at every second of the day when I'm a mommy. Just wait, mommy-to-be. You remember these posts when you've been home for 4 days with a little handful of a kid, no sleep and not feeling very well. You'll be happy to know that you're not losing your mind.

    Stephanie, write your truth. Miss Anonymous Mommy to be can write her truth when it's her turn. Maybe she can write another "ain't it all rainbows and roses" blog like so many others.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Steph-

    I've also had someone post on my blog that basically told me that I had no faith and was wondering why I was describing this whole adoption process as sooo difficult. It was upsetting, but I knew this person didn't really know what she was talking about. Whether you fly home from China or drive home from the hospital with your newborn, it is the same. It is wonderful AND hard. That is the very complexity of parenting. And this is your private blog and you should be able to say what you wish.

    ReplyDelete