Tuesday, November 6, 2007

At Long Last! Welcome Ian!

Today was the day we've been waiting for! At 9:15am, we left for the Civil Affairs building in Hangzhou and Ian with two orphanage caretakers were already there waiting. Ian was sacked out after a long train ride through the night from Wenzhou.

His nickname sounds like "Ah-Moon" because he is so round and chubby, like the moon. He has a cold, but will hopefully work it out of his system in the next few days.

He is a big boy. Although he is not at the top of the weight or height charts, he is heavy to carry. I have yet to try out the hip carrier I brought and I'm praying it will work out.

He woke while we were doing paperwork and was calm and happy right away. He is very observant and looked at both of us with questions in his eyes. He easily went to both of us and didn't make a single peep. Other than some basic baby cooing and raspberry blowing, he does not appear to have any language skills yet.

He was happy and content the entire time and immediately enjoyed the toy car we brought for him. He loves to look to see why the wheels are rolling, turning it over and trying to get between the car and the tire. We might just have an engineer on our hands (or a mechanic).

We returned to the hotel and ordered lunch as it was past his lunchtime. He ate two bowls of congee mixed with fried rice, and we enjoyed dumplings and chicken with hot peppers. He drank an entire sippy box of juice quickly. He still drinks formula, so we'll be off to the store to pick up formula, diapers, a bottle, and some clothes. He is a bit big for most of what I brought, and he seems to be most comfortable in several layers of stretchy pants, which we have none of. We also have to make sure we have enough long sleeved shirts or pieces to layer over the short sleeves we brought.

He has pretty big feet, too... Too big for the Preschoolians and Robeez shoes I brought. We'll have to pick up a couple pairs of shoes today as well.

He is sleeping now, after only crying from about 2 minutes... Yes, I'll admit it. It was because this rookie mom turned away for a few seconds and he rolled off the bed. Good thing for these low hotel beds! He is sacked out now, but is starting to stir, so I'd better go try to figure out how to do this mom thing.

What an exciting day. If I have more time later, I'll post more. If not, we'll be sure to keep you in the loop on Ian's adventures.

I hear that my Photobucket album is not working, so I apologize. If I come across some free time, I'll troubleshoot. Until then, some of our first pics with Ian are below.

Note to Lana & Family: I will try to get some more pictures of his ear for you. He turns to sound from both directions, but we won't know much more until we get home. No issues so far, though.

A few from today:








13 comments:

  1. I couldn't wait until morning to check your blog. We are so excited. He is adorable!!Its great to be a new grandma again. Its been a long time. Keep the pictures coming.Love to all, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I wish you all the best in your new life as a family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!! I am chocked up looking at your pictures this morning! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for your family! Ian is so cute.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to you both! Precious pictures to charish for a long time. You both look so happy and so does your new baby boy!

    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! He's so flippin' cute!! I think the "kid rolled off the bed" is a major hurdle of rookie parenting, you got it over with early and you won't have to worry about that one any more. Ian is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Woke up about 4:30 this morning wondering if you had Ian in your hugs yet. Just shared the news with Chuck and the girls and they, like me, are all very happy the gap has been finally closed between you. Ian is beautiful, and seems your natural insticts as parents have kicked in already.

    Loving the blogs and looking forward to more. Did write to your email addresses, but wanted to post here as well on this very special day! Love and hugs all around!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's beautiful!!!
    Congratulations Mom & Dad!!!!

    Kirsten
    WA State

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!! It's so great to see you with him!!

    We can't wait to meet you, Ian!

    ReplyDelete
  10. CONGRATULATIONS!!! He is so beautiful! I am so happy for you guys and I can't wait to see more. Wow, what an amazing experience.
    Lana and family

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome Ian Indeed!
    Congratulations, he is a very beautiful boy.

    You both look very happy, and I am very happy for all three of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an adoable "moon" boy. He is just so cute. My first one rolled off the bed too! Congratulations on your little guy.

    Keri
    www.myadoptionwebsite.com/ourclaire

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay!!! Ian day finally arrived. I'll bet you are so happy and excited! It's so wonderful that your family is now complete! :)

    ReplyDelete