Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Chowder the Bulldog



He's an English Bulldog rather than a Frenchie, but I am totally in love with Chowder the Bulldog. If you aren't familiar with him, he is the subject of a great children's book by author Peter Brown, and a great role model for kids, in my opinion.

Chowder doesn't look or act just like all the other dogs, but his owners love him and celebrate his uniqueness. Chowder learns through the story that it's OK to be a little different, but that even he needed to have something in common with others outside the confines of his comfy apartment in the city.

While I'm sure the author didn't intend it, I read this book with the immediate connection to the fact that Ian will, from day 1, have things about him that might set him aside from the "norm", but what is the "norm" anyway? Isn't our world a better place with us all a little different and all a little the same all at once? I believe that the former allows us to evolve as a species and the latter is probably why George Orwell's 1984 never become a full blown reality. (not yet at least... January 20th, 2009 get here fast or I'll be eating my words!) Although we will try hard to see the world from his eyes and see his eyes from those of the world, the truth is that we will never fully know it feels to walk in his shoes, hear with his ears, see with his eyes... It may very well be the hardest part of International Adoption Parenting and parenting a child with a physical special need.

So, on a lighter note, I bought this because it is about a bulldog, but took the 5 minutes to read it cover to cover, and fell in love with Chowder. Everyone who comes to our house gets the book shoved in his/her face as I watch while they read it. I know they're not reading into it at all like I did, but I hope they appreciate the cuteness of it, at least. I will hopefully impress the overall message of the book on Ian: That it's OK to be a little bit different and a little bit the same, but no matter what, his parents think he's the bee's knees.

If you are interested, Chowder has his own blog! Click the link below to get to his site, check out some of his favorite things, buy the book from Amazon.com... and then click over to his Blog.




No comments:

Post a Comment