Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The Eagle Has Landed!


I didn't blog about the care package we sent last week because I spaced out and forgot to take pictures, but I tracked it today, and it looks like it is officially in China! It may be our only chance to send one, but I'm fine with that. My goal was to get a disposable camera and a photo album in their hands, and I confirmed that the nannies at his orphanage love to take pictures. I'm confident we'll get a camera full of great pictures back.

I also sent a translated list of questions that might be able to help us with transition once he's with us, and also asking for specifics on finding location, items left with him, friends/favorites/habits in the orphanage. All of these details will be important later on as I create his lifebook and begin telling him about his life in China.

In all, we sent the following items, all labeled with Ian's full Chinese name:

Translated questions for the director along with a translated thank you letter for their care of our son.

A Soft photo album with a picture of him and 5 pictures of Shawn and me - marked with Ian's Chinese name on his picture, and "Mama"/"Baba" on our pictures.

Two small hard plastic toys that will be easy for the nannies to keep clean. One panda with movable arms/legs, and one "pull back" car with "popcorn" balls that pop as the car moves. Polli tried them out and approves.

A lightweight blanket with a bit of my lotion rubbed into it.

An outfit that, after seeing his videos, I know won't fit him when he comes home, but will probably fit him now.

Tootsie pops for the kids. Sugar brings smiles to the faces of children the world over.

Almonds for the nannies

Disposable camera


In all, the package weighed 6 pounds and fit in a 12Lx10Wx6H box. I won't comment on what it cost to ship. My husband reads this occasionally! I've already had some explaining to do after posting a picture of Ian's closet. Apparently, Shawn doesn't go in there much.

No comments:

Post a Comment