Tuesday, May 1, 2007

The Demise of an Old Friend



I am sad to report that this evening, one of my closest and dearest friends met his maker. Yes, Spongebob Squarepants has gone on to the great "Pineapple Under the Sea" in the sky.

My Spongebob obsession extends from the floormats and license plate frame in my car to a shrine in my cubicle at work. I love the porous yellow guy. He's not only positive about absolutely everything, but he has a good work ethic, is an excellent housekeeper, and also finds the good in everyone including his negative neighbor Squidward and villain Krusty Krab rival, Plankton. Besides, who can't find a place in their heart for a guy with a meowing snail for a pet?

So, every once in a while, I would use my Spongebob pillow as a prop to try to get Polli used to me holding something other than her in my lap. It never ended pretty. The pictures below are what ensued shortly after I tried this experiment tonight. Polli loves anything with stuffing and once she gets it started, she abandons it and takes a nap. Not once has she eaten fluff... It's all in the journey, I guess! She has never gotten to Spongebob's stuffing after a year and a half of trying until now. Another testiment to SB's unfailing optimism in the face of doom and absurdity.

I'm hanging onto hope that Polli won't think a human child is full of stuffing. She doesn't attempt it with Gonzo, our parrot, so I have a feeling we'll be OK by the time our child comes home. On our last 2 trips to the dog park, she didn't jump on a single toddler. I have never been prouder of her. My girl is growing up.

So goodbye spongy buddy! I'll never forget you!


1 comment:

  1. I am in love with your french bulldog!! He is precious! I have always wanted one. Right now due to space limitation we can't have one but some day.

    You have a lovely blog,
    Yoli

    ReplyDelete